Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shifted from 4lo to 2hi last night and the selector switch neutral light came on and my truck would not move. I tried taking the fuse out, disconnecting the battery. When I move the selector switch to any mode the light flashes for a bit but the red N stays lit. Beat on the transfer case motor with a hammer like HOT ROD while in neutral and it started making this amazing grinding noise and engaged 4lo long enough for me to drive 50 yards and then went back to grinding and not moving. Hoping it's the transfer case motor not engaging all the way and getting stuck between modes. 4x4 has rarely ever been used

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
56 Posts
Inside that transfer case shift motor there are magnets glued to the inside of the shell. Most likely you knocked them loose with the hammering. You now need a new transfer case shift motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So beyond that, the transfer case being stuck in neutral and everything before my tapping on the shift motor with a hammer.....? Its not the internals of the shift motor making the grinding noise.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,277 Posts
When was the last time the fluid was changed? It needs to be changed every 50K miles. Your problem may very well be the Encoder Motor. Remove it from the TC and switch the selector switch and see if the motor moves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought it a month ago with 160k miles on it so I'm not sure if it's been serviced regularly. I know it hasn't been used much at all. I've replaced both hubs, both outter tie rods, an ac actuator, the purge valve, the vent valve, and the 4x4 selector switch since I bought it and I'm running outta cash to throw at it. I'll go test the shift motor today when I get home from work and see what happens with it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shift motor was the problem!! Its fixed and rolling with all 4x4 functions operating as they should and I went ahead and changed the transfer case juice while I was under there. When I change my oil I'm going to change the front and rear differential fluids too just to make sure its serviced

1 - 7 of 7 Posts