Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
Joined
·
89 Posts
Stealth SS your Vetter is AMAZING! On the issue..I have noticed this slightly with my bone stock SS. I'm still going for the TUNE though...that first to second gear slip bang is making me angry along with the can I get out of my own way launch and fall on my face gear changes :cool:. Now all I have to do is figure out where and how to remove the ECU/TCU or whatever they are.
:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
39 Posts
6L80 is worse

I just read in one of the driving glove mags that the new vette with the 6 speed auto has to downshift from 6th to 2nd when you floor it and it takes forever. Essentially the same problem we have. So will the 6 speed force GM to deal with the problem? I imagine the caddy drivers will bitch since they get the 6l80 as well.
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
616 Posts
87octane said:
I just read in one of the driving glove mags that the new vette with the 6 speed auto has to downshift from 6th to 2nd when you floor it and it takes forever. Essentially the same problem we have. So will the 6 speed force GM to deal with the problem? I imagine the caddy drivers will bitch since they get the 6l80 as well.
How about a link to the article? Or if you don't have a link, the name of the publication and the month/issue?

FYI, here are the ratios for the 6L80E:

First: 4.02
Second: 2.36
Third: 1.53
Fourth: 1.15
Fifth: 0.85
Sixth: 0.67

And here is a chart with speed, rpm, etc. with the 6L80E in a TBSS (with the most likely rear end gears, 3.42's).
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
56 Posts
I haven't really noticed any problem re: the trans kickdown I agree though it is most likely situational. I am thinking I might go for a 3.73 ratio in my TBSS 2wd with Vector tune , my carbon fiber CAI w/K&N, maybe a slightly higher stall convertor and probably 285/50R20 rear tires. Save a few RPM on the Highway, but when they adapt a 6L80E to our SS's on on that train for sure. No seat issues yet either.
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
70 Posts
6L80E would have been better trans for TBSS

TBSS said:
How about a link to the article? Or if you don't have a link, the name of the publication and the month/issue?

FYI, here are the ratios for the 6L80E:

First: 4.02
Second: 2.36
Third: 1.53
Fourth: 1.15
Fifth: 0.85
Sixth: 0.67

And here is a chart with speed, rpm, etc. with the 6L80E in a TBSS (with the most likely rear end gears, 3.42's).
When you look at the ratios of the 6L80E and a higher ratio differential, the benefits of the 6-speed are obvious. It's to bad Chevy didn't use the 6-speed with a taller rearend ratio instead of the 4-speed and the 4.10. Acceleration would be as good for even better (closure to the torque curve) and the mpg would also improve 1-3 mpg +-. The differential cost is a wash. What is the difference in cost between the 6-speed vs the 4-speed. Maybe $1,200. It should have been a no brainer.
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
616 Posts
racerx8 said:
I haven't really noticed any problem re: the trans kickdown I agree though it is most likely situational. I am thinking I might go for a 3.73 ratio in my TBSS 2wd with Vector tune , my carbon fiber CAI w/K&N, maybe a slightly higher stall convertor and probably 285/50R20 rear tires. Save a few RPM on the Highway, but when they adapt a 6L80E to our SS's on on that train for sure. No seat issues yet either.
So you'd be going down 10% in gearing (3.73 vs. 4.10) and 3% in tire size (285/50-20's are 31" vs. stock 30" tires) for an overall decrease in RPM of 13%. Did you run it through that calculator above and see what your RPM would be at speed?

Using that rough 13% number, I'm getting a reduction at 80 mph from 2700 RPM to 2350 RPM (2700 X .87). Maybe that will be a little better than stock, but 2350 is still way out of the optimum efficiency range of the LS2.....1800-1900 is where you really want to be.

I don't know that your mileage would be that much better....unless you drive 65 mph after those changes, then you'd be at 1900 RPM, which would be ideal. :yes:
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
Joined
·
131 Posts
I have this delay too, seem to happen at all highway speeds. if you go WOT you have to wait a second or two before you accerelate. I can actually nail the gas, get off and have the truck not accelerate AT ALL. Makes merging a nuissance.
 
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Top