Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience running a Transgo 4L60E Shift Kit, pinless accumulator and Corvette servo? Here are the pages for the parts i'm thinking about getting:

Transgo Shift Kit : http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OPTI&Product_Code=TRG-SK4L60E&Category_Code=4L60ESK
Corvette Servo : http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OPTI&Product_Code=NTP-K51828C
Pinless Accumulator : http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OPTI&Product_Code=SNX-77987-01K

I already had PCMforLESS up my shifts to #2. Would all these parts be overkill?

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
137 Posts
Can't comment on the shift kit or pinless accumulator....but the vette servo is a nice upgrade. Just make sure you install it properly, or have a professional do it! I'm a pretty handy guy and do almost everything auto related, but that $15 servo almost cost me a new tranny. Well I did get a new tranny, it just ended up going on GM's bill not mine.

I like the feel of the shift now, no hesitation, firm but not overpowering, and quicker...definitely worth the $ :thumbsup:

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Personally had a Transgo HD2 in my 02 and removed it. The I6 cant make enough power to break the trans even if you beat the heck out of it (ask me how I know, 45k with 0 electrical nannies and 0 probs. 104k total).

Do the Vette servo and get a tune, cost you a little more than a shift kit but you get your engine running better too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the corvette servo just improve the 1-2 shift? The shift kit and accumulator would help all shifts?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
I'm running the .490 boost valve and a pinless accumulator (more for reliability than any shift improvement) and plan a Vetter servo (parts ready to install). I've also set my PCM for Less tune at stage 3.

I'm not satisfied with the 1-2 shift in this transmission. 3-4 isn't as critical, as it is always at speed and the suddenness or overlap between gears isn't so noticiable. Hoping the Vette servo cures the 1-2. If it doesn't I'm stopping at that point anyway.

And, actually, the I-6 can and does break the 4L60E. I'm on my second transmission. I torched the 3-4 clutch plates out of the first one. I'm not upset, I knew that there was a potential to do that when I did it. If you play, you have to pay. These transmissions are strong enough, when built right, to handle close to 1000 hp, and from the factory they will take care of our 300 or so. I'm just looking for some crispness.

Biggest breakage problem on the 700R4 or 4L60E (same internals except valve body) is the sun shell and forward planetary gear sets. There are heavy-duty parts available for both but it takes a complete rebuild to run them. There are also heavy-duty clutch plates -- same deal -- a total rebuild is required.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
I disagree with Scrab and agree with GLF...

Same transmission in the 1/2 ton trucks in the mid-late 90's... Grenaded constantly with the 260 horsepower 350 small block and 170 horsepower 305...

Ask any Transmission Engineer (I'm directly related to 3 of them... dad, grand dad, uncle), and they'll tell you that transmission live is MUCH more sensitive to weight than power... A 4L60E will live forever in a 2000hp, 1000lb car, but it will die at regular intervals in a 200hp 10,000lb car... It's all about gearstress... There's a curve of weight vs. torque for transmission life... For a given life length, if you go up with the weight, you have to go down with the power to stay there... The other way works, too... To keep the trans life, if you increase power, you will need to decrease weight...

It happens that we can get away with doing a little more in this vehicle, because we're 6-700# lighter than the 1/2 ton trucks, but the power can be an issue, and towing can definately be an issue...

Mike

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
20 Posts
I have installed several of the transgo kits, and I really liked how they shifted. Especially with the 1/2 shift, and the TCC lockup (took care of the P1870 code). However, I found that the servo upgrade in the shift kit was a little extreme. So I left the servos stock. As for the accum piston, any upgrade form those plastic pistons would be an upgrade. While you have the valve body out, it would not hurt to change the 1/2 and 3/4 accumulator pistons to aluminum. One those pin bores start to wear, the shifts go to hell. I never used the vette servo, but I figure is all about how you want the trans to shift.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I disagree with Scrab and agree with GLF...

Same transmission in the 1/2 ton trucks in the mid-late 90's... Grenaded constantly with the 260 horsepower 350 small block and 170 horsepower 305...

Ask any Transmission Engineer (I'm directly related to 3 of them... dad, grand dad, uncle), and they'll tell you that transmission live is MUCH more sensitive to weight than power... A 4L60E will live forever in a 2000hp, 1000lb car, but it will die at regular intervals in a 200hp 10,000lb car... It's all about gearstress... There's a curve of weight vs. torque for transmission life... For a given life length, if you go up with the weight, you have to go down with the power to stay there... The other way works, too... To keep the trans life, if you increase power, you will need to decrease weight...

It happens that we can get away with doing a little more in this vehicle, because we're 6-700# lighter than the 1/2 ton trucks, but the power can be an issue, and towing can definately be an issue...

Mike
True but remember there are a million ways to skin a cat and at least a few to make these POS trans' shift right.

If you get a shift kit Id highly recommend anyone have it installed by a pro, I followed and checked each step at least 5 times and still messed it up. This was the first problem Id caused on my TB personally, even though I took my time.

I know people lose their 4L60Es in our trucks, Im not denying that at all. I guess I should clarify what Im saying when I say that with a Vette 1-2 servo and a PROPER tune (cant stress PROPER enough, you really cant run the same line pressures as a regular tune for 1-2 with a Vette servo unless you want crazy shifts) you can achieve 95% of the feel a shift kit will give you while still being SAFE with the trans. I dont have the $$ lying around to afford a new trans if I lose this one but after 45k+ Im not too worried. I know one day it will go, I hope to get 120k out of the stock trans (at 105k now) but who knows, Im not going to be towing with it anymore. If you want it to snap your neck 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 guaranteed then a shift kit, .490 boost valve, etc is for you. If you want your trans to shift firmly and quickly while still being civil at 2000rpm shifts aka firm not neck snapping then tune+servo to start and go from there, if you want it firmer do a .490 boost and then a shift kit if you still want more. Ask anyone thats ridden in my 02, I took liftedplane for a ride yesterday and he wants his to shift like mine does, firm civil until 2500ish rpms then hard at WOT (almost breaks the tires loose on dry pavement with stock size Dueler A/T Revos).

Transgo makes a good kit but check Superiors out too, Ive heard some people like them more than the Transgo one.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
388 Posts
.490 boost valve / vette servo / accum pistons / hardened 1-2 spring here

stock tune, it shifts redicilous, my serp belt will slip through the shift and if im going around any slight bend in the road whatsoever and arent going completely arrow straight it will break them and try to kick out to the side when it shifts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
I know people lose their 4L60Es in our trucks, Im not denying that at all. I guess I should clarify what Im saying when I say that with a Vette 1-2 servo and a PROPER tune (cant stress PROPER enough, you really cant run the same line pressures as a regular tune for 1-2 with a Vette servo unless you want crazy shifts) you can achieve 95% of the feel a shift kit will give you while still being SAFE with the trans... If you want your trans to shift firmly and quickly while still being civil at 2000rpm shifts aka firm not neck snapping then tune+servo to start and go from there...
What is a "PROPER tune"??? I've read other threads with the same reference to a "tune", is this programming related?

I'm reading stuff on this forum for improving the sloppy 1-2 shift as my wife is commenting about it now (it's her ride).

TB EXT 47k

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had PCMforLESS do shift firmness setting #2 and adjust shift points. So just add the servo and call it good?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Probably. Worst that can happen is that you don't like how it shifts and you revert to the old parts. Nothing here is irreversible.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's good because I wasn't so sure about tearing into the valve body to put in the shift kit! Servo shouldn't be so bad. Guess I have some parts to sell for a 4L60!!! :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts