Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not new to car audio but am not a pro either. I was looking to build a box for our TB EXT that would lay down in the back cargo area. I was looking at the shallow-mount subs on Crutchfield (never ordered from them before, just using their site for all the different types they have).

Basically The box would be built to come flush with the 3rd row seat when folded down. I also want to try and blend it in so you don't know the sub is there. I couldn't find an EXT cargo area with a quick search to do a paint sketch of what I'm talking about. Has anybody worked with, used, have, or even heard the shallow-mount speakers and know if they are any good? I'm not sure if I would utilize the small compartment or not yet. I was looking at maybe 1 10"/12" or 2/3 8" depending on the physical size of sub and volume requirements. The amp/s and other equipment would also be installed in part of this enclosure to hide it as much as possible.

I want to try and get a balanced system but definitely not over powering. We have 2 small children that like to sit in the 3rd row. We are going to eventually replace the deck, and door speakers too. I would prefer a full name setup but not partial if needed to steer away from it. (ie. Pioneer deck, door speakers/dash speakers, amps and sub/s.)
Crutchfield shallow-mount subs

Please don't flame on the 8" subs if they really wouldn't be any good. It was just an idea. Any input and advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Outlaw

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
83 Posts
I'm not new to car audio but am not a pro either. I was looking to build a box for our TB EXT that would lay down in the back cargo area. I was looking at the shallow-mount subs on Crutchfield (never ordered from them before, just using their site for all the different types they have).

Basically The box would be built to come flush with the 3rd row seat when folded down. I also want to try and blend it in so you don't know the sub is there. I couldn't find an EXT cargo area with a quick search to do a paint sketch of what I'm talking about. Has anybody worked with, used, have, or even heard the shallow-mount speakers and know if they are any good? I'm not sure if I would utilize the small compartment or not yet. I was looking at maybe 1 10"/12" or 2/3 8" depending on the physical size of sub and volume requirements. The amp/s and other equipment would also be installed in part of this enclosure to hide it as much as possible.

I want to try and get a balanced system but definitely not over powering. We have 2 small children that like to sit in the 3rd row. We are going to eventually replace the deck, and door speakers too. I would prefer a full name setup but not partial if needed to steer away from it. (ie. Pioneer deck, door speakers/dash speakers, amps and sub/s.)
Crutchfield shallow-mount subs

Please don't flame on the 8" subs if they really wouldn't be any good. It was just an idea. Any input and advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Outlaw
if you need a box design i could help you out on that bro...since you want it to be NON noticeable..and have some space..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you need a box design i could help you out on that bro...since you want it to be NON noticeable..and have some space..
Thanks.
That's why I posted. I am looking for anybody willing to help. I have build boxes before. 1 was for 4 10" Pyramids, 2 was for 2 12" JBLs, 3 was for 2 12" Solobarics. If the shape is more then a rectangle/square, that is where I would definitely need help with figuring the volume of the box.

me neither...it might help to take some pics of yours so we can get an idea of what you are working with space wise
Here are the pics. Some are probably not needed, but more is better in this case I guess. I also for got to get the depth and width of the space but the box would need to be about 5.5-6" tall to come flush with the seats folded down.

Left Rear

Right Rear

Full Rear w/ Seats Up

Full Rear w/ Seats Down

Storage Compartment Closed

Storage Compartment Open

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
83 Posts
Thanks.
That's why I posted. I am looking for anybody willing to help. I have build boxes before. 1 was for 4 10" Pyramids, 2 was for 2 12" JBLs, 3 was for 2 12" Solobarics. If the shape is more then a rectangle/square, that is where I would definitely need help with figuring the volume of the box.

Here are the pics. Some are probably not needed, but more is better in this case I guess. I also for got to get the depth and width of the space but the box would need to be about 5.5-6" tall to come flush with the seats folded down.

take some measurements for the box on how you want it(HZ,volume,etc) and ill sketch up some designs...pm when you have them:);):thumbsup::excited:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Do you have any recommendations for the subs?

here's the link again.
Crutchfield Shallow Mount Subs. Site is just for reference. I would probably have to go with the 10" or 8" given the height restriction but the Kenwood at the top of the page says 3 15/16" so that "should" actually fit. I'm not saying I want the Kenwood but it was the first item that was a 12". I do like the clean look it has but it really doesn't matter because if it works the way I want, it won't be seen anyways.

I can post the measurements tonight. Currently at work and the TB is not my DD.

**UPDATE**
Is there any input about Kenwood?
I was looking at their 6 1/2" component setups vs 6 1/2" 3way w/ added tweeter. I will also be adding a 3-4" 2or3 way speaker to the dash and maybe (MAYBE) by the rear lift gate. I remember having a deck of theirs a few yrs back and remember the eq settings were awesome along with the overall sound vs the old pioneer deck i had in at the time.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Do you have any recommendations for the subs?

here's the link again.
Crutchfield Shallow Mount Subs. Site is just for reference. I would probably have to go with the 10" or 8" given the height restriction but the Kenwood at the top of the page says 3 15/16" so that "should" actually fit. I'm not saying I want the Kenwood but it was the first item that was a 12". I do like the clean look it has but it really doesn't matter because if it works the way I want, it won't be seen anyways.

I can post the measurements tonight. Currently at work and the TB is not my DD.
I have not heard any of the new shallow mount subs yet. Another member started a build for something semi-similar but had to put the project on hold.

But it looks like your idea can work....size/quantity depends on the trucks measurements.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1,002 Posts
im pretty sure it will work with the correct size sub/s all depending on the airspace. i was actually throwing this idea around for my ext. i ended up doing a larger setup only because i know myself and id want louder in a few months. I like loud bass. although lately ive been thinking about it again because it does become a pain when i cant load anything in the back.

good luck with the build, im gonna follow this out. keep us posted on sub choices etc

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
you want a box like this?

if this is what your thinking, i would utilize the cubby. you could probably use a standard size sub if you did.

Got the Measurements

Length= 46"(max) x Depth= 20"(max) x Height= 5"(max)

Approx: 2 cubic feet? (1.979 at http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm[... 1.6 then minus sub displacement around 1.5cf

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My buddy has the Fosgate 10" subs & they bump real cool. Of course you have to match the RMS's right for optimal performance.
Where they shallow mounts? or do you know the model of it that I could look up? Thanks!

you want a box like this?

if this is what your thinking, i would utilize the cubby. you could probably use a standard size sub if you did.

i did 46 x 20 x 5, then subtract the thickness of the wood, so 1.5 off each / 1768 = about 1.6 then minus sub displacement around 1.5cf
That is exactly what I was thinking. when I got the 1.9cuft, the calculator asked what the wood thickness was. I said .5". Shouldn't it still be closer to the 1.6 or a little higher then? would i really need the .75" thick wood for what I would actually be running? 10" or 8", and the power of most of them I don't think I would have to worry about the box getting damaged. When I built the other boxes for the Solobarics and the JBL's, it was .75" MDF and when I had the 10's... well that's another story but i think I made that out of .5" plywood (before I knew anything about the needed cubic feet and "fighting for air" that the subs do in 1 box).

I know this probably wouldn't be typically, but with it being made of MDF which is pretty heavy plus the weight of the sub and amps if I mount them to the inside top (upside down). Do you think it would sound ok if I don't have a bottom? i could then gain some more clearance for the sub and just remove the compartment door for more cubic space.

I've never used an open box like that other then some Left and Right channel speakers for an entertainment center, but they weren't pushing any Low frequency, mid and high.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
we'll have to see what the grand total would be first before going birch then.

I know this probably wouldn't be typically, but with it being made of MDF which is pretty heavy plus the weight of the sub and amps if I mount them to the inside top (upside down). Do you think it would sound ok if I don't have a bottom? i could then gain some more clearance for the sub and just remove the compartment door for more cubic space.

I've never used an open box like that other then some Left and Right channel speakers for an entertainment center, but they weren't pushing any Low frequency, mid and high.
What this for some more room?

Since I would be able to make this whole thing from 1 sheet of 4x8 i could build all the sides and hear it first. Obviously I don't plan to compete with this but do want to be able to turn it up when needed (or want to) without getting embarrassed.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
so you want to invert mount your thin sub?

ive never heard of that being done, and im not saying that it hasnt. actually i dont hear a lot about thin subs in the first place, little in an SUV.

ive seen one guy do a 13" JL w5 in the cubby, he said it sounded good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so you want to invert mount your thin sub?

ive never heard of that being done, and im not saying that it hasnt. actually i dont hear a lot about thin subs in the first place, little in an SUV.

ive seen one guy do a 13" JL w5 in the cubby, he said it sounded good.

No, sorry, I'm probably making it sound more confusing then it is. Hopefully my unmatched paint skills can explain it better. :laugh:

Top box has no bottom except the floor of the truck. I would be using the weight of the setup to hold it down. The bottom box would be a full enclosure.

The EXT model doesn't have the cubby in the side unless you are talking about the one in the floor. I have seen that in one of the threads here, but it was made of fiberglass and used a SWB model which has a bigger compartment (ie. more volume)

this is starting to sound like a job and a half.

i would just build a box like this, with a regual sub .... maybe a 500 wrms sub, call it a day.

Doing that would literally take up almost half of the cargo space behind the third row.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion, hopefully this cleared it up.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
The bottom box would be a full enclosure.
i vote bottom

EDIT: I like gavins idea too

with a 3/4" top and bottom, the max depth would be 3.5"....everything but the kenwood 12 would fit.

also
what are the plans for mounting the amp
what amp are you planning on using

Hopefully my unmatched paint skills can explain it better. :laugh:
hehehe i have a few mspaint masterpieces floating around here

1 - 20 of 94 Posts