Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Trailblazer LT 4.2L I6 with 153,000 miles

I am experiencing several symptoms that may or may not be related. Here they are:

• Frequent strong fuel smell outside the car
• Not all the time, but often, the car will not start. It will turn over, but not start up. If I tap the gas while turning the key, then it starts.
• RPM’s jump around while idling.
• The car will die while making a right turn. This seems to be exclusively on right turns. It could be that I just make more right turns than left turns, but I can only recall it happening when turning right.
• The cruise control will sometimes not turn on
• After turning the key off, the car will continue “rumbling” for a few seconds.

I removed the throttle body and cleaned it a couple months ago. The air filter was also replaced recently.

Anyone experience one or all of these issues? Do you think they are related, or do I have several things going on here?

Thanks for any suggestions that you have.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,063 Posts
I have a 2003 Trailblazer LT 4.2L I6 with 153,000 miles

I am experiencing several symptoms that may or may not be related. Here they are:

• Frequent strong fuel smell outside the car
Possibly related to this: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22530&highlight=leak+recall

• Not all the time, but often, the car will not start. It will turn over, but not start up. If I tap the gas while turning the key, then it starts.
Could be a plgged filter or bad fuel pump...but that's just a guess.

• RPM’s jump around while idling.
• The car will die while making a right turn. This seems to be exclusively on right turns. It could be that I just make more right turns than left turns, but I can only recall it happening when turning right.
• The cruise control will sometimes not turn on
The cruise not working is possibly related to the PCM throwing codes...it's a safety feature in the truck. Go to your nearest auto parts store and have them throw a reader on the truck and check for codes. Write down all the codes (usually a "PO" code), then come back here and use the search feature to find out what the codes are and how to fix them. Don't let the store clerk not give you the codes, if they won't go elsewhere. On a hunch, it could be the forward O2 sensor or CPAS.

• After turning the key off, the car will continue “rumbling” for a few seconds.
Did you change the plugs at 100K miles with AC Delo 41-103's?

I removed the throttle body and cleaned it a couple months ago. The air filter was also replaced recently.

Anyone experience one or all of these issues? Do you think they are related, or do I have several things going on here?

Thanks for any suggestions that you have.
I would say there are several thing's happening. Go through the list and see what you come up with.

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Matt.

The plugs have not been changed:eek: I think I'll start with the O2 sensor and the plugs.

I will post updates if anything changes.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,063 Posts
No worries. When you go to get the plugs, get the codes read first...that way you only buy what you need. Also, AC Delco for the O2 sensor if it needs one.

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

I checked the codes and it returned the two below:

PO128 - "Coolant temp is always low"

PO172 - "Fuel trim bank one condition"

The coolant was slightly low, so I topped it off. I also replaced the spark plugs.

The overall performance has improved, I have not experienced the hesitations as before. However, it has still had trouble starting and done the "rumbling" after turning the key off.

While changing the plugs, I noticed several ounces of fuel in the air resonator. Doesn't seem like that should be happening, and I imagine that is causing the PO172 code. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on the cause?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
P0128 is almost always a sticking thermostat.

P0172 can be a couple things. You said you are going to replace your spark plugs - that might take care of it. Have you checked your air filter lately? If the air filter is clogged it will richen out the mixture.

Bad gas can trigger the P0172 DTC, as well as several other things. Heres a good thread that can help steer you in the right direction:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=65350

·
Banned
2004 chevy
58 Posts
P0128 is almost always a sticking thermostat.
:iagree: i had the same error message. had a friend change my thermostat, fixed that code.

for the car dying on the right turns- how do you describe dying... check the oil level if you just bought it, or if its been a while. before my TB, my old car started bying on almost every turn and i would see the oil pressure light blink on just before i lost power (steering, gas, everything:eek:)- scary experiences. just my :m2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts