Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new and im about to have an aftermarket system in my 05 gmc envoy with the bose sound system. My question is the interface tells you to set radio select switch on the interface but the radio that i bought is a boss bv9976b single din flip out tv and it doesnt show boss on the instructions but there is one for other but it shows others brands except boss so is other what i would set it at or am i sol. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to start the install and it not work.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
59 Posts
You are going to have fun connecting the steering wheel controls to that head unit. Enough fun that i would sell/return it and get a supported brand. Or you can be SOL and do without.

Here is whats up. Notice on the head unit that there are three wires for the steering wheel control interface. Key1, Key2, and Key Ground. None of those are going to connect to the RP5. Key Ground gets grounded. Key1 and Key2 connect directly to the steering wheel controls. You cut with wires in the steering column for the steering wheel controls and connect the Key1 and Key2 wires to the steering wheel controls. The way it works is the head unit sends a 5v reference voltage out on one of the Key wires and looks at the returned voltage on the other key wire. Each steering wheel control button has a resistor in line with it. It will return a unique voltage for each button and that unique voltage is then manually assigned a control via the head unit setup.

I did an installation in a vette that used the same universal steering wheel controls that the chosen head unit uses. I will never do another. Too much disassembly of the dash and steering column and trail/error finding the correct wires to cut for the steering wheel controls. First time i cut the original reference wire too low in the steering column and took out reference voltage input for the wiper control arm.

Some additional information on how the steering wheel controls work with the RP5 and a supported head unit. Steering wheel controls connect to the BCU. BCU provides a 12v reference voltage on one wire that goes through the resistors in steering wheel control buttons. The BCU then monitors the voltage being returned from the buttons on another wire. BCU then sends a data packet across the data bus to the RP5. The RP5 then decodes the data and sends out the appropriate voltage, depending on what brand head unit is selected, via the steering wheel control output wire or 3.5mini plug. It is all preprogrammed by supported brand.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
59 Posts
I have the pac rp5-gm11 interface
As stated in the thread title. I have one too. I downloaded the installation guide before i bought the most expensive harness provided for the vehicle to make sure it would do everything i wanted it to. Picked it up because it was an all in one harness solution to install a kenwood nav receiver that had the parking brake output, reverse output, and required no programming for the steering wheel controls except rotating a switch to the preprogrammed brand receiver i had on hand.

I did not care about it but the RP5 even retained the rear seat audio controls for volume, track/seek up/down, and the headphone jacks. The head unit supports dual zone so the driver can listen to one thing in the front and the rear passengers can listen to another source through the head phones.

I slept on it and in theory you may be able to connect the baller on a tight budget boss receiver to the RP5's steering wheel control wire. At your own risk of course. The boss outputs a 5v reference voltage and should not receive a voltage higher than that back or it may damage it. Use a volt meter to find out if the reference voltage comes out Key1 or Key2. Ground the wire the reference voltage is coming out on with a 1k ohm or higher resistor in line. Set the RP5 to position 7(pioneer/other) and measure the voltage on the steering wheel control output of the RP5 as you press every single steering wheel control and rear seat audio button. If they all measure less then 5v then good. If any of them measure more than 5v then a resistor should be soldered in between the RP5 and the head unit to make the voltage less than 5v. Also ground the Key Ground wire. After connections are made then program the receiver to the steering wheel controls. The installation manual for the boss receiver is lacking in that department. Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just installed the pac rp5-gm11 and the aftermarket radio in my envoy. I left the swc unhooked cause i dont use them plus i have a remote control. But when i plugged the radio wires into the interface for the amplified system i got no sound so i tried the unamplified side and now i have sound why is that. I know i have the amplified bose system.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
59 Posts
Fairly certain that the difference between the inputs are the the factory amplified goes through a Line Output Converter and the non amplified goes straight through. You may have a faulty unit. Make sure the plug was seated all the way in.

I used the speaker level outputs of my head unit and got sound on both inputs. The non amplified distorted quickly with volume adjustment so amplified was used. When i go back in to connect the reverse camera i may try the line level outputs of the head unit on the non amplified just to see how it sounds. Kenwood DNX9140 has 8v preouts so im thinking it will get loud enough. Trial and error though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi im new and im about to have an aftermarket system in my 05 gmc envoy with the bose sound system. My question is the interface tells you to set radio select switch on the interface but the radio that i bought is a boss bv9976b single din flip out tv and it doesnt show boss on the instructions but there is one for other but it shows others brands except boss so is other what i would set it at or am i sol. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to start the install and it not work.
A 2019 answer to an old thread... I spoke with someone at PAC regarding Boss Audio settings for RP5-GM11and they said the radio select is #7

1 - 11 of 11 Posts