Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, this is my first time posting here. I own a 2003 envoy sle with 120k miles, regular maintenance. I love this truck. It's great in the snow. Recently I've had a problem with the ses(service engine soon) light blinking, a very rough idle and when my guy put it on the computer code s0300 came up which is a misfire in cylindar 1, cyl5 and cyl4. I changed the plugs at about 115k, ac delco iridium. My mechanic stumbled across a technical service bulletin #06-06-04-048b which described why this happens. It turns out the weather seal close to the windshield under the hood is corroded and was cheap allowing water and snow to leak down into the camshaft and corroding the coil packs. For a $20 part this is going to cost me to replace my 6 coil packs plus 6 spark plugs. We removed the coil packs and discovered they are slightly corroded causing a misfire. I called gmc corporate at 866-790-5600. I have an appt at my local gmc dealer which is going to cost me $85 for a diagnosis. I'm hoping they'll concur with this tsb and gmc will pick up the tab for my crap weather seal and the fact my 6 coil packs and plugs need to be replaced. Funny how a crappy weather seal can cause a $600 fix.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The leaking gasket usually only affects one of the coil packs. Number 4 if I remember right. Could be 5. Also, if you are out of warranty then they won't cover it. A TSB is just to alert service of a known issue. It doesn't mean they will cover it out of warranty.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
155 Posts
Guessing they're not going to pick up the tab, and if it's just coil packs, they are about $60 a piece at an autoparts store, and are super easy to change out. I doubt they are all bad, and if you're at all mechanically inclined could have them all changed out in 45 minutes tops.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
55 Posts
I just done mine last weekend. number four had gotteen water under the coil pack. Just a little advice: After you remoce the coil pack use a couple of paper towles to soak up the water from around the spark plug. I replaced the plug as well, but as a minnimum remove the plug and clean the corrosion off the top contact point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts