Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I started a discussion last week regarding me doing some suspension work to my truck. 06 Envoy Denali. I ended up doing driver upper control arm, upper ball joint, outer tie rod, wheel bearing and breaks. Passenger side looked like there was recent suspension work. I only replaced the upper control arm and wheel bearing plus breaks. I just ordered a lower control arm. Went pretty smoothly for someone who has not done that extensive of work before plus being a female who is not so strong. LOL

Bad things that have come after; Check engine light for "clean fuel injectors" (out some sea foam in a FULL tank) and now I have a clunk when breaking and the traction control dash light came on. Job was done Sunday and Monday there was a dragging sound when I went to leave the post office which I assumed was the metal that I bent when doing the control arm. It has not done that since but it was loud enough for someone walking to knock on my window to tell me. Then today, I was last minute Christmas shopping and it clunked to where I could feel it under my foot on the break several times when trying to park or stop between lights. I am really hoping it isn't something that I did... The clunk seems to only happen when I break.

Abs did not come on. Wheel bearings are still plugged in. All replaced parts are in normal working order. The vehicle seems to break fine except the clunk. I did have a mechanic friend double check my work after doing the repairs Sunday and he believes that it isn't an error of mine but possible another part breaking from the strength of new parts around it OR possibly a faulty part. A faulty part could f2f be a possibility since I paid a "to good to be true" price for a kit of parts.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
622 Posts
from your description, not easy to diagnose exactly whats going on.

clunk when you apply the brakes. caliper pins travel freely? pins lubed?

all suspension parts torques to proper torque spec?

the ebay special parts, doesn't necessarily mean thats where the problem is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well from what I can own up to, everything is in working order. Everything is torqued down properly.

The only time it happens is when the fuse for the ABS is in. I have had it removed for safety until the wheel bearings were replaced. I take out the fuse and there is no clunk. Put it in and it returns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay this a hard one but start by jacking the truck up and supporting safely. Check the suspension by moving the tire on each side. Grab it at 12 and 6 to check the ball joints. Listen for a clunk or have someone else while you watch. Grab the tire at 9 and 3 move it in and out. This will tell whether the tie rods are the source of the clunk.

Check the stabilizer links for excessive movement which can cause a clunk.

I am assuming the lugs and axle nuts are tight but double check them.

My son's truck had a loose top connection at the strut which caused a clunk.

If all that is good then check the brakes are they moving as they should? No sticky guide pins or bad calipers. Are the bolts tight on them and loc-tited in?

The ABS fuse being linked to the clunk is strange as it fires the brakes so the clunk could be there.

What does clean fuel injectors code mean? Provide the P code please.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts