Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

service light issues

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  the roadie 
#1 ·
i have a 05 trailblazer ls and my service light comes on and stays on for a while after i start my vehicle. The light looks like a wrench with an oil can next to it. I checked all my bulbs to see if i had one burned out and and good on all my flulids under the hood. Can anyone please tell me what else would turn that on and how to make it go away. Thanks in advance

#2 ·
HUNDREDS of issues can cause the light to go on, and you need to use or find somebody with, a scanner to tell you the code the vehicle is trying to communicate to you through its diagnostic connector. The Owner's Manual says this. Run a search for "OBDII codes", but don't delay getting the code read. Then get a mechanic to advise you or post the code here.

Are you a DIY kind of person with some experience and tools, or are you going to take it to a trusted mechanic?

#3 ·
How long since you changed oil? In your owners manual (page 3-47) it tells you. The wrench and oil can icon is the Oil Life Monitor telling you to change oil. I thought it was supposed to stay on steady until you reset it. But check your oil level. And if you have changed your oil lately, read your manual on how to reset the OLM.

#5 ·
The wrench and oil can icon is the Oil Life Monitor telling you to change oil.
:duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :sadcry:
I goofed. (Make note of this date and time for the archives)... ;) Only defense is I have a DIC and watch the percentage remaining instead of the light and I change it before it goes on.

Consulting the Owner's Manual first, before trailvoy, is always a good idea.

Attachments

#6 ·
soryy, i failed to mention that i work at a service garage and have checked with a scanner, no codes at all and I changed my oil about two weeks ago. I tried the pumping the gas pedal 3 times to reset the light but to no avail. Last night I tried disconnecting the battery for about an hour cause im running out of options. Starting to think its a glitch somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.