Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Envoy- 109K - I had my serpentine belt changed, it was never changed before so it was way overdue. Anyways now I hear a rattling noise which was not there before. So I asked the mechanic about the noise and he says that it's coming from the tensioner and to give it a few days for the belt to adjust/stretch. That he cannot adjust the tensioner because it's a automatic self adjusting tensioner. That if the noise doesn't go away than the bearings are bad on the tensioner, than it needs a new tensioner. But why wasn't it making a noise before. Is this normal? I notice that it makes the noise more when the A/C is on.

Please help! Thank you!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Who changed it and what part number did they install? The data base used by many parts stores is WRONG and the belt will be an inch off.

If anything failed it's much more likely to be the cheap idler pulley, which is available in the aftermarket parts stores.

Please fill out your profile completely, since we need to know which engine you have to recommend the right belt. But the data is also available in a trivial search.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I just said *if* anything failed it would more likely be the cheap idler pulley. I think whoever serviced the vehicle (hard to understand why anyone would pay for a changing serpentine belt unless they had no car experience) put on the one that's for the SWB instead of the EXT/XL. It's longer, but can fit. If you have any buddies with the same model as you, look at the position of their tension pulley and see if it's at the same angle as yours now. That would be the best clue you have the wrong belt.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
2003 Envoy- 109K - I had my serpentine belt changed, it was never changed before so it was way overdue. Anyways now I hear a rattling noise which was not there before. So I asked the mechanic about the noise and he says that it's coming from the tensioner and to give it a few days for the belt to adjust/stretch. That he cannot adjust the tensioner because it's a automatic self adjusting tensioner. That if the noise doesn't go away than the bearings are bad on the tensioner, than it needs a new tensioner. But why wasn't it making a noise before. Is this normal? I notice that it makes the noise more when the A/C is on.

Please help! Thank you!
Do you have the long wheel base vehicle or short one? There is a difference in the length of the belt even with the same engine. I researched this extensively both on the net and from personal experience.

I bought the wrong belt the first time, and my tensioner did exactly what you are describing.

Most parts book ask if you have the 150 amp alternator or not, when the question should be long wheel base or short. Both have the same alternator, but the power steering pump is different and as Roadie said the belt needs to be shorter for the long wheel base.

http://www.mvreader.com/multiview/d...R&year=2006&year_from=&year_to=&engine=All&l=

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have the long wheel base vehicle or short one? There is a difference in the length of the belt even with the same engine. I researched this extensively both on the net and from personal experience.

I bought the wrong belt the first time, and my tensioner did exactly what you are describing.

Most parts book ask if you have the 150 amp alternator or not, when the question should be long wheel base or short. Both have the same alternator, but the power steering pump is different and as Roadie said the belt needs to be shorter for the long wheel base.

http://www.mvreader.com/multiview/d...R&year=2006&year_from=&year_to=&engine=All&l=
I checked that website and there's 2 types of belts for "XL" models or non "XL" models and according to the mechanic he got the "XL" model which is my truck model. I just got of the phone with him because the noise is definitely coming from the Automatic Belt Tensioner and it gets louder when the A/C is on well anyways he said that it could be that the tensioner was about to go bad and when he lift it to install the belt the springs were damaged nothing that he would have caused (so he says). So I don't know what to do but have the tensioner replaced I guess.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Do you have the long wheel base vehicle or short one? There is a difference in the length of the belt even with the same engine.
egalvan33, the reason we ask for the vehicle info in the profile.

I checked that website and there's 2 types of belts for "XL" models or non "XL" models and according to the mechanic he got the "XL" model which is my truck model. I just got of the phone with him because the noise is definitely coming from the Automatic Belt Tensioner and it gets louder when the A/C is on well anyways he said that it could be that the tensioner was about to go bad and when he lift it to install the belt the springs were damaged nothing that he would have caused (so he says). So I don't know what to do but have the tensioner replaced I guess.
We do not believe the tensioner is bad.

Please re-read the posts.

You need the SHORT belt for the LONG trucks.

Your problem is a slipping belt, because it is not tight.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been fixed, it was the belt. The parts store gave him the wrong belt size for my truck, they gave him the longer belt. Thanks everyone for all of your help :)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
71 Posts
Ugh! Why didn't you guys do this thread a few days ago? lol I ordered a new belt yesterday from rock auto and ordered the longer belt cause it said it was for the 150 amp alternator which is what I have. Guess I'll have to send it back when it gets here. :(

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Welcome aboard :tiphat

All I was implying, is that the belt thing has been discussed a number times and the search function is a great tool.

I know in your case, you were just thanking people for talking about the subject, so, I can give you :thumbsup: for using the thread (if you searched for it, or found it by accident, I'll not know, and it doesn't matter).

Enjoy the site.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
LOL, well I'm a newbie here - I just bought the TB Friday and found this site a day later.
Oh......the best situation is if you discover trailvoy BEFORE you buy the vehicle. For instance, a very desirable option is the G80 rear locker. Do you have that in your glove box sticker?

It's been fixed, it was the belt.
Woohoo! :woohoo: Trailvoy is running about ten for ten today on saving folks money with cheap fixes to known problems.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
71 Posts
Oh......the best situation is if you discover trailvoy BEFORE you buy the vehicle. For instance, a very desirable option is the G80 rear locker. Do you have that in your glove box sticker?
Is G80 the code? If so, then no. Code for mine is GT4. Does that mean mine is really only 1 wheel-drive in 2wd mode or 2 wheel-drive in 4wd mode?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
:sadcry: My sympathies. If you have one wheel on ice, it leaks all the torque when it spins, and you end up with a zero-wheel-drive vehicle in 2WD mode. In 4WD mode, one wheel on ice won't totally stop you, but one on the front and one on the rear will.

Just read up on left-foot braking as a countermeasure. It's a common offroading workaround for slippage.

GT4 is a gear ratio, but any of the three gear ratios can be combined with a G80 locker. Welcome, and don't forget to clean your throttle body.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=91

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.