Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,

Does anyone know how to get the serpentine belt back on ? ... I cant figure this out for life of me. I have the pully on the bottom totaly off (passenger side bottom). I can not get it to tighten back up with the new belt on ?:hissy:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Huh? How did you get the old belt off? Put all pulleys on. Use a breaker bar in the square hole in the tensioner pulley bracket to make the serpentine path shorter. Install the belt. Release the pressure on the tensioner pulley.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Did you get the right belt? You should have the longer belt. Usually ends with #915. The correct routing is molded into the fan shroud. Sounds like you missed one of the pulleys. The idler maybe?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
826 Posts
when you put the breaker bar in and put pressure on it dose it spring some ,if not theres a spring in there and i have had them rust up you can keep putting a little oil in it and keep trying to move it,but i dont think thats where your at ,need more imfo, just to see if u have the belt on the all the pulleys ok

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the bottom 3/8 bolt holding the tensioner on. I think I need to get a cheater bar because I can not move the bar up or down once I place the bolt back in. the belt is fed thru the pullys the right way I checked with the diagram. should the bolt be tight when trying to re-install ?

·
Registered
826 Posts
what was the reason for removing the bolt,did you put a new tensioner on ,because you dont have to remove any bolt to use it,if it had tension on the belt before you took the belt off,and if you took the tensioner off ,you may not have got it seated in place,and the hole for the tensioner is at the little idler pulley not where the bolt is, a foot long bar should be long enough to get it to move a little if pulling at the right angel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea I'm a moron .. I think I figured it out now. I'm going to go to lowes in the morning and buy a breaker bar ($13). I took the belt off to replace the camshaft actuator and now the belt just hangs there because I took the bolt out of the tensioner like a jack a$$. so when I go to lowes I need a 3/8 breaker bar correct ?.

·
Registered
826 Posts
hey mulletsrock101 i wasnt joking on you i was joking on me because i cant get it straight in my head how to help so i should let some one better than me hepl

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Lint, I think your doing a great job.

Mullet, I left it for roadie, because he posted before me.

But, you must admit, this is a funny thread. and don't feel bad, I came across a guy, a few weeks ago, who had removed his alternator (ford 4 cyl) to replace the belt.

As you're finding out, only one way to do it and the proper tools are necessary

·
Registered
826 Posts
if you have a 3/8TH Ratchet thats all you need ,and you can use a short pipe over it to make it a little longer.it dont take alot to move it 3/8 or 1/2 in not sure i think all are 3/8 in thoe

RayVoy thats funny, but then i have done some strange thing too ,,you know right after you do it too and wander where the hell that came from lol

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
you can use an old pipe.
like me... I have the ratchet in the hole- and used a pipe to give me leverage.
just push on it- and it releases tension on belt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright guys I went to lowes and got the breaker bad today. got home and had the belt on in 3 mins. all I can say is thanks to everyone for the help and the laughs ... :) .. got the belt on and took a 3 mile ride. everything is ok now and the camshaft actuator is working like new (maybe because it is new) .... at least i'll now how to change the belt now ....lol .... Thanks Everyone !!!!!!!! .....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I basically was driving yesterday and lost power steering etc. I look and the belt is still on but it is not tight at all, it barely moves. How hard do I turn the ratchet to get the belt to tighten. I am assuming that since it loosened while I was driving, I might need a new tensioner. LEt me know what you think.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You don't tighten anything to get the belt to tension up. The tensioner has a built-in spring. You just use a ratchet driver or breaker bar to loosen the tensioner bracket to get the belt in or out.

·
Registered
2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT EXT
473 Posts
I basically was driving yesterday and lost power steering etc. I look and the belt is still on but it is not tight at all, it barely moves. How hard do I turn the ratchet to get the belt to tighten. I am assuming that since it loosened while I was driving, I might need a new tensioner. LEt me know what you think.

Thanks.
Sounds like your belt has jumped off one of the pulleys. I'd compare the belt position to the routing diagram on the fan shroud and see where the problem might be. Unless the spring inside the tensioner has broken and the arm has moved to the full extent of the travel. I did not think it would move far enough to let the belt slip to that degree, but I could be wrong.
Hope you sort it out !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.