Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am i am DIY mechanic? Sorry kinda new. The truck only has 25000 miles can a fan clutch go that fast? I was thinking it was the alt. I even replaced the power steering fluid with Lucas oil. That was not it.

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
Am i am DIY mechanic? Sorry kinda new. The truck only has 25000 miles can a fan clutch go that fast? I was thinking it was the alt. I even replaced the power steering fluid with Lucas oil. That was not it.
ok DIY stands for Do It Yourself; as in do you like to fix things yourself

and please fill out your profile so we at least know what year truck you have

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
118 Posts
Fan clutch sounds like a likely culprit and worth a check. But, if it has a turbo like sound in conjunction with engine speed, it could be the dreaded idler pulley failure syndrome. If the sound is close to the Alt., most likely that is it. Easy to check out. Will not hurt to run a short time like that, other than waking the neighbors. A cheap and fast fix for the DIY Mech.
Also a How To Do article available on this site.

Good luck and ,please report back to us on your findings & progress.....Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...it could be the dreaded idler pulley failure syndrome....
Also a How To Do article available on this site...
Hiya, Mike! I didn't recall an official Article on the idler pulley issue, and I looked for a short time. But for the OP: seriously, it's a ONE BOLT replacement. One brand of aftermarket replacement pulleys is of a size where you can't fit the OEM washer/dust shield on top of the bearing, but members have reported success just installing it without the item.

Pics: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=587189&postcount=7

1 - 11 of 11 Posts