Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a little background. I'm in the Army in Afghanistan and my wife is back home with our only vehicle the Envoy... that being said.... I need help....

Well it was parked for 1 month... nobody drove it and it just sat in my driveway. Then my wife got home and tried to start it, and not surprisingly it wouldn't start, the battery was dead. well after trying to get it jump started the ignition wont turn at all... now prior to that it has never had a problem at all with the ignition or anything,its never shown any signs of being worn out or anything... Some other things.. it has remote start that isnt working right now and it has onstar that i dont use... anybody heard of anything like this before? Before anyone asks... yes it is in park...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
By "ignition won't turn" do you mean it clicks and won't crank? Or won't even click when the jump battery is connected?

Did the jump start helper hook it right to the battery, or did they choose the more exposed (but incorrect) threaded studs on the front side of the fuse block?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean that it is as if the column is locked or the gear selector is not in park and wont allow you to turn the key at all... i read the thread about the boot being caught also... the gear selector is in park. She has also tried turning the wheel from side to side while trying to turn the key... It will not allow the key to turn into any position. Also the key did turn one time when they were first trying to start it but the key became lodged in the ignition, it wont allow it to be turned to the stop position or be removed. since then the key has been removed and the ignition is in the OFF position. Is there a security reset or something?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also as I said im currently in Afghanistan and trying to fix this, so as much as i would hope they connected directly to the Battery terminals and not fuse lines i cant be sure... My friend that went to Jump it off is fairly mechanically inclined so i would think he went to the battery terminals that are exposed on the front of the battery...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
When the battery dies, the key cannot be taken out of the ignition until the vehicle is jumped.

What this means is that someone probably forced the key out without knowing the proper procedure for removing a stuck key with no battery power, and now the key cylinder itself is toast.

If they couldn't get it going, they probably jumped it from the wrong post (as Roadie surmised) and the megafuse (and probably a bunch of other fuses) are now all blown.

Leaving a vehicle for a month should NOT drain the battery. Either the vehicle has a serious draw issue, such as a module that doesn't go to sleep, or your battery is on its last legs.

Before anyone does a single thing to help your wife, they need to replace the battery and check all the fuses. After that, there is not much more we can help you from this distance without having the vehicle in front of us.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
170 Posts
Hey Justin,

Merry Christmas Bud, look out for my fellow Canadians roaming around over there.

Has your wife found some help?

I had my wheels die like this one time and it was the ignition switch.

When it dies the series of issues can be unpredictable.

First time, I was dumbfounded and hi and dry - they had to drag it on to the tow bed.

That is the first place I would start.

There are some good points on that big fuse being blown - had that happen too when an idiot I had detail the car drained the battery and blew the fuse... mine started with that fuse blown... just no auxilary juice for stuff like pwer seats windows etc.

So ... my money is on the ignition to start. After that hmmm , it will take some good detective work...

Good Luck
Rick:coffee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts