Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only things I do not like about my TB are some of the electrical problems I've had - minor, but still real pains in the butt!!

Recently (thank goodness it was the end of the winter) both of my front seat heaters konked out simultaneously. I know it can't be the heater pack or anything like that because they both happened at the same moment, so I figure it's some kind of relay switch or something.

I press down on the seat heater buttons and the lights go on while I hold the button, but turn off the second I let go. I think this tells me that it's something along the wiring. I've checked the fuse and it's good.

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The same thing happens for both driver's and passenger's buttons? And your power seat position memory (driver 1 & 2) functions are OK?

The two ways that power gets to that system are circuit breaker 8 and fuse 19 under the rear seat. Each door has a switch module, but they both send commands over the serial bus to the seat memory module under the driver's seat. The memory module wires up to BOTH sides heaters.

If it's not CB8 or Fuse 19, I'd think it was a flaky seat memory module. A trip to the dealer to use their scan tool to talk to the module will confirm if it's receiving the door commands properly. You can also try to buy a memory module off Ebay on speculation, but I haven't seen this exact situation before to report how it was fixed by somebody else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seat Heater Not Working

Thanks Roadie.

I'm not going to get to it this weekend as I'm waaaaay behind on my honey-do list (plus my butt's not that cold now that it's summer), so I'll check out CB8 and Fuse 19 again and see if it works. Thanks for the ideas - I'll let you know what happens

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not the fuse or breaker

Roadie,

You know how summer goes, just got around to checking the fuse and breaker for the seat heaters. Both are working. Now what?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the vehicle? I'm wondering if there's a common relay switch or something after the fuse / breaker which might be blown.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuse & Breaker OK

Well, no problem with the fuse or breaker (checked a couple of weeks ago). The weather's getting cooler in Canada so I am now more motivated to go to the dealer (though I must admit this pains me to no end). I'll let you know what comes of it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
119 Posts
The heaters in our TB just went out today. They worked great yesterday. I'm intrested in the outcome of your trip to the dealership.

I have not checked any fuses yet, which seems like a logical cause.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Problem solved. I had a bad electrical connection under the driver's seat.

Repair Cost: $0 !!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Both heater seats went out at the same time. Additionally, driver seat would not move at all (only heard a clicking from under the seat and under the dash). Passenger seat would still move.

Loose conection under the driver seat (the yellow connection that just terminates) was the issue. A simple giggle and everything started working agian.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know. I was hoping it was both since that's my problem. Did you have to take the seat out or could you reach the connector by going under the seat?

·
Registered
119 Posts
The connections are right in the front. Just stick your head on the floor board and you'll see the connections I was referring to.

Just remember, this worked for my TB, may not work for yours. Try to disconnect the connections, use come contact cleaner or a pencil eraser, reconnect and see if anything changed.

Good to know. I was hoping it was both since that's my problem. Did you have to take the seat out or could you reach the connector by going under the seat?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
Heated seat question

I see this question has been asked twice in different threads, but I couldn't find where it was actually answered, so sorry for the duplication if it is.

I have a friend who has an 04' LT I6. Heated leather seats with both the back and the bottom of the seat having heating . Problem is, the drivers side seat, the bottom part where your butt is, stopped working. This feature wasn't ever used much at all. Tried to use it today, and only the back of the seat worked. I see Roadie mentioned CB 8 and Fuse #19 under the rear seats. Is this all I should be looking for, for this particular problem? If it is the actual heater element, would the seat cover need to come off to check this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seat Heater Problem

Unfortunately, my problem has still not been fixed. Took it to the dealer in December and they advised that the elements are burned out and wanted $$ to replace.

I'm having a hard time buying that all four elements (passenger seat & back and driver seat & back) are all burned out at exactly the same time. I haven't re-visited the problem as I haven't had time over the past couple of months, but I'd be interested in hearing what comes of your issue.

Please post your results.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
57 Posts
Heated seat driver's side not working

... Heated leather seats with both the back and the bottom of the seat having heating . Problem is, the drivers side seat, the bottom part where your butt is, stopped working. ...
I have 2002 TB with the same issue. Dealers solution was replace seat for $600. Since the driver's seat gets the most use, I am thinking the problem is a broken element in the seat heater. Was hoping to find a thread where someone took the seat apart and replaced the element. Rarely the seat will heat, leading me to believe it is a broken element and occasionally the pieces touch and actually heat. I would think this is a very common problem.
-Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks very, very much cntinuum!! This is indeed an excellent post!

I'm still not certain that the elements are my problem because throughout the thread, these guys talk about only one of their elements not working (either back or seat, either driver or passenger). None of my heaters are working and they all crapped out at the exact same time - too coincidental.

I think the problem must be some sort of common switch or connection or something after the door switches (the lights turn on when I press the button but turn off as soon as I take my finger off of it for all four switches - does this mean the switches are working or is that assuming too much?).

I've asked GOFASTER for his opinion but I think at some point I'm just going to have to rip out both front seats and start testing everything along the system :eek:.

Oh well, I should have listened to all of the posts before I bought the TB (which I love by the way) - great vehicle mechanically, piece of crap electronically.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts