Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have gone completely "inlay" crazy, covering the center of EVERY "SS" on the truck, did you miss one?

I picked up a "fabric marker" at the local craft store for $2.99 and filled in the white thread of the "SS" embroidered in the front seats.

I tested this on a T-shirt before attempting this mod just to understand the marker's properties and this is what I learned. The "ink" will 'bleed' following ONLY the thread in contact with the pen UNTIL it becomes too saturated. So you can you this behavior to guide the ink VERY close to the "silver" border. Lightly touching the pen on the white thread NEAR the silver thread border will start to bleed down the white threads in contact with the marker. Remove the marker's contact as the color reaches the silver, this can be done using a repeated 'dabbing' technique. Use this stippling motion as you follow along the border like you were giving the seat a tatoo. Then come back over and fill in the center. The pictures really do not do this mod justice. The thread actually retains it's GLOSS appearance and still reflects light that really grabs the eye.

I used black to match my inlays. If you have red or blue inlays, I suspect other colors would behave the same, but you should practice on a old T-shirt first anyway.

WARNING: This did NOT WASH OUT of the "test" T-shirt EVEN with bleach so remember, this WILL be PERMANENT!

Just thought I'd share...

·
Registered
2006 chevy
64 Posts
I'm thinking they'd fade over time with the UV rays. Red would become pink maybe? Granted it could be touched up but I'm not so into the whole permanence of it. Does look good though, nice job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts