Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First --- I'm old and I used a product in my younger days called RSA. It was a foaming throttle/carburetor cleaner that created a really large smoke show!

I used it on very many engines before I'd change the plugs, points and condenser. You Millenials will have to just believe me about the points and condensers though.

A vehicle would come in for a tune up, I made sure it was still at operating temperature and take off the air cleaner and fill the carb with this stuff. I'd let it sit for a while - lunch break, It kinda smelled like mothballs - just a little. Yum!

With all my good previous lifetime experiences with RSA ... I went looking for it to use on my 4.2.

Nope.... no longer available - BUT Amsoil now makes a foaming cleaner for throttle bodies. Problem is - I'm in Montana and it hasn't even gotten here yet. Perhaps the Pony Express will drop by next month --- we'll see.

Well --- I KNOW the Seafoam Name - so I decided to use the spray they market to clean upper ends of engines by injecting it into the plenum with the engine running - then shut down to heat soak - then restarted to purge it.

"Use the whole can" they said.

I did all that. Now you gotta ask: "WHY?" - right?

I've been plagued with P2135, P2125, P2122 and the relative codes that tell me there's a problem somewhere between the throttle "A" & "B" rheostats and the Throttle Body Motor - a 'sync' type-thing.

I know the throttle pedal assy is brand new and a GM part - so I went and cleaned the throttle body, giving all the wires the 'wiggle test' at the sane time. .

Well - so far - no codes or Reduced Power problems have returned. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
268 Posts
Glad to hear you are getting your pedal assembly/throttle body assembly codes taken care of.

I enjoyed reading about the RSA. Back when I was in high school and college, I used to have a Gumouter which was a bottle one would fill with Gumout, screw a special lid on, connect some tubing to it, disconnect and plug the fuel line from the carburetor, connect one of the adapters from the kit to the carburetor, attach the hose to it, hang the bottle from the hood, start the engine and blanket the neighborhood with dark smoke. Then I would change the spark plugs and the car always seemed to run much better. Along the way, I also would throw in a set of the unitized ACDelco or Borg Warner points & condenser and then set the dwell using my K-Mart $9.99 Dwell/Tachometer and set the timing with a POS timing light I got someplace.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well - here it another day gone by - 150 miles and NO CODES!

Whoopee! It may have solved it - mebee.

I will be out to physical therapy early AM and then some trout fishing - and to the place where it always threw a reduced power code. I think it was using the transmission for deceleration down a long dirt road that did it every time. I'll try that test tomorrow and report back.

I notice I do have a smoother idle - as if there was really anything wrong with it before - but it might just be psychosomatic -..... or psychedelic.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well.... NO codes or problems all day. I've got a 30 mile one way trip to make tomorrow and I'll run cruise control - which I do almost all the time anyway.

During CC at 80 MPH however ... is another area of performance where the Reduced Power would fire off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good to hear the updates. I'm dying to know how you did with the CC @ 80 MPH. I'm getting ready to head out myself on such a drive for about 100 miles.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had no trouble driving in CC at 80 MPH. Just don't hit RESUME at 50 or so to get back to 80! The engine will go redline to get back up to speed!

I've never driven such an aggressive CC-RESUME before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had no trouble driving in CC at 80 MPH. Just don't hit RESUME at 50 or so to get back to 80! The engine will go redline to get back up to speed!

I've never driven such an aggressive CC-RESUME before.
Agreed. The CC-RESUME takes itself very seriously. Excellent that you have no codes. My trip was uneventful. Love my TB.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here comes the acid test ------> the wife (mine) will drive it today. If it can screw up, she'll make it happen......

.......... just sayin' .....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts