Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know the forum consensus on the use of seafoam, ........... ...........what is it?, what does it do?, what are the dangers of using it, if there are any?, why do you feed it through the brake booster hose? .. I have seen the youtube videos of people using it ....but is it worth it?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,401 Posts
It's definently a good thing to use on 2 stroke engines. Cleans them out. I'm in the landscape buisness and know alot of companies that swear by it. I haven't used it myself. I have switched over to Stihl's new four stroke. I'll post back when I try it on my cheap 2 stroke. Rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Seafoam=good

i just used a whole can in the tank and noticed a big difference. I'm going to use it through the brake booster real soon. should get a lot of smoke at 132k miles.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
It's safe as long as its not in there for too long. I would drive more than 100 Miles with it. And an oil change is recommended so that you can get all that loose sludge out of the engine.

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the big question? when you put it in through the brake booster, what is the reason for the white smoke ? I get the impression some of these guys think it is a magic cleaning agent for the internal components of the engine., what does it clean and what is the significance of all the smoke?:bonk: I cant seem to grasp the purpose of this stuff

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
218 Posts
That stuff is scary though! I used it a few months ago, at around 95k miles (I use Techron occasionally though), and I really thought the engine was going to hop up out of the engine bay and start running around like in the commercial. But seriously though, the engine rocks back and forth violently, diesels, doesn't want to start again, and smokes a ton. How is this not really dangerous for the engine???

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have used it twice in mine with no problems. You put it in the booster line so the engine vacuum will pull it down on top of the valves and clean the buildup there. The engine will rev up and down a good bit because of the vac line being removed and usually an idle air speed code will be set because of that. It clears itself once the line is reinstalled and 2 or 3 ignition cycles are done. Or you can clear it with a scanner.

Through the tank it works like any other treatment to clean injectors and the fuel system. It stabilizes the gas if it is not going to be used for a while.

In the oil, I put it in just before my last oil change and ran it in the driveway just long enough to circulate through the oil system. No problems. Does it free valves, etc? I don't know, but it didn't seem to bother anything either.

I used their Trans Tune before flushing my transmission fluid to clean it out too. No problems.

Google "Seafoam" and you'll find their site telling you how it can be used and what it does. You'll also find videos of how to use it and the mosquito fogging you'll do afterward!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
If you have changed your oil when you should, use a good brand of oil, either dino or synthetic, a good fuel (top tier once in a while) and the vehicle is running correctly then I would not use it. The old saying is "If it ain't broke then do not fix it!" Also keep your throttle body clean!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
I respectfully disagree with that. An engine with a lot of miles still can develop sludge, just like carbon deposits in the fuel system/injectors. Even if you use a top tier gas, your engine will still develop carbon deposits in the intake manifold, valves, etc. Same concept with engine oil.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
604 Posts
I bought a can of Seafoam today.

My TB only has about 94 221 KM.

After I put it in, I waited for about 20 mins. Started the TB up and there was smoke but not a lot. Not as much as u would see on youtube videos.

I headed out to school and I did notice a difference. A good one. The TB ran smoother, quicker off the line. It felt "brand new" again.

There was no codes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
well maybe??

unless you have got serious build up or run in the dessert or extreme wet conditions all the time, I would forego the treatmeeant. Yes, it helps but so does keeping your truck clean and regular check ups. anyway great question thanks for thinking deep.. Remember I'm pulling for ya, were all in this together... LATER DAYS:)

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
I just did it through the brake booster for the first time at 132k miles. Didn't get much smoke either, but do notice a smoother ride. will post up a video as soon as its done on youtube!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts