Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't follow alarm/remote start products very closely. I'm going to have a remote start installed in the Trailblazer. I got a quote from a local guy on a car forum that has his own shop.

He's quoting me a Scytek brand remote starter. The model is the Galaxy 2000RS.

Anyone have experience with Scytek products? Are they any good? He says he's had good luck with them and has them on his own vehicle.

He quoted me $220 installed for the 2000RS and $280 installed for the 2000 with 2-way option.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
48 Posts
Haven't heard of that brand of alarm before, but for the price....you can't go wrong. Maybe see what the guy would charge to install another type of alarm (Viper, etc.) if you are having any doubts about that brand of alarm.:m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
371 Posts
Scytek is my biggest seller. I install the 2000RS 2w-1 for $350 in the Trailblazers. That includes the INT-SL. I have done a lot of remote starters and theirs is the easiest one to wire up and has a lot of the popular features the other brands don't have...in that price range. Check them out at http://www.scytek.net.

As far as quality, they are just like every other company, the parts come from overseas and you get a lemon from time to time. Overall though, they are a reliable unit. I have had very few calls about them not working. The CEO is an ex engineering manager from DEI, so a lot of their designs are found in the Scytek models. One thing I like about them is that they have two main harnesses, none of the H1, H2, H3 etc that you find with the DEI products. I think this makes for a cleaner install. They also have software that lets you program the remote start before you put it in the vehicle. You can also run diagnostics with it to see what inputs and outputs are activated once it is installed in a vehicle.

Starting with the 2010 models, they are now data-link compatible with bypass modules from idatalink.com. I will be installing one of the new modules and remote starts in an 02 Taurus this weekend for the first time. Should make it a bit easier.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone! Sounds like I can't go too wrong with the deal he's giving me. I think I'll get the 2-way feature because it tells me information about the TB while it's running which is pretty cool.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
I install scytek everyday at my shop and love it..If you can get the 200rs for that price installed then get it done very good unit as long as it is installed correctly then you shouldnt have any problems....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear! :cool:

I'm getting the 2-way unit installed next Tuesday. :woohoo: Wish I had it now with the -40 wind chills!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
363 Posts
I don't know anything about Scytek. I can tell you that I have had alarms and remote starters made by all of the big manufacturers and the CompuStar that I have now is the best yet. No matter what you get, the quality of the installation is what often determines if a remote starter/alarm system works like it should or causes major headaches. Insist on a neat installation with all of the connections being soldered or have it installed elsewhere.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Is that a remote start and alarm? How do you start the truck up? Hold one of the lock/unlock buttons in?
I don't have the alarm but it can be. I'm just using it as RS only. There are 3 buttons on the right side (top side in the pic). One of them is the start button. The keyless entry is also used.

Which bypass did you use Spong?
I have no idea which one he used. What does the bypass do?

·
Registered
363 Posts
It integrates the remote start system with the vehicle/factory alarm through the databus. If he used the XK01 or an equivalent, I can tell you about a little known feature that will let you roll up your windows automatically without adding any extra hardware.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting. :undecided How can I identify what he used?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Interesting. :undecided How can I identify what he used?
He should have given you the paperwork for it. It contains programming information. If not, pop off the little access door to the far left of the dash board...it is in the area that is only accessible with the drivers door open. You will probably find it mounted in there.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
It integrates the remote start system with the vehicle/factory alarm through the databus. If he used the XK01 or an equivalent, I can tell you about a little known feature that will let you roll up your windows automatically without adding any extra hardware.
Im looking at the XK06 for my SS, how can we do this roll-up function? Heck if its painless then I might buy 2 and swap the GMDL-BP out for it in my 02 for auto-up.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Erik,
Why would you want to use the XK06? Do you realize that it doesn't do the doorlocks, among a lot of other features, and only integrates the system with the PassLock? With the XK01 you get the doorlock integration, RAP shutdown, auto heated seats, mirrors, and defrost in freezing temps, etc. along with the door triggers and other features if you want to install an alarm and not just a remote starter. It even gives you the tach through data if you wire it D2D. Anyway, to do the window rollup on the TrailVoy platform, all you need is an alarm/remote start with separate lock and unlock buttons. Go into the XK01 programming and choose mode 5 option 2. Now, if you press your LOCK button twice all of the windows will close through data. As far as the GMDL-BP goes, that is what I currently have in my 05 TB and I am going to be changing it out for an XK01 also. It looks to me like it is a straight swap as it uses the same exact wiring harness.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts