Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of searching and reading about this topic but am getting mixed reviews. Some people say they've been using it for years to clean engine parts but some say it will kill your engine within 1K-2K miles. I'm replacing a head gasket on my brother's 97 LHS and want to clean the heads and block to a perfectly smooth and shiny finish before reinstalling the new ones. Now it's got me thinking since I used it to clean my throttle body with, along with some brake cleaner :undecided

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
I wouldn't use Brake Cleaner let alone Scotch Brite. :nono:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I've also heard they are bad. They leave small pieces behind. If you use it, every thing it touches needs to be taken apart and washed. Valves, valve springs, every thing. The same cleaning you would do with a complete overhaul.:m2:

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read that the best thing to do if you do use scotch brite is to wash the parts with soapy water. Wouldn't that rust them? :undecided

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Wash with soap and water then, wipe dry with a no lint rag, then spray with WD-40.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
331 Posts
??

So its prob bad that i sprayed the inside of the oil pan with brake cleaner. I wanted to make sure i got out all the non synthetic oil out before putting the synthetic in. My mechanic told me to do it but he can be pretty special sometimes.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The brake cleaner should do no harm on metal parts ( not sure about aluminum oil pan) But I would definitely keep it away from paint, wires and sensors. Read the warning on the can.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
So its prob bad that i sprayed the inside of the oil pan with brake cleaner. I wanted to make sure i got out all the non synthetic oil out before putting the synthetic in. My mechanic told me to do it but he can be pretty special sometimes.
:eek::eek: you removed and cleaned the oil pan so that you could switch from conventional oil to synthetic oil.
Tell me you did not.
I need to understand the thinking that would suggest mixing brake cleaner with oil is better that mixing two oil types :weird:

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brake cleaner will eventually evaporate after you wipe it off. It leaves no residue. I use brake cleaner on ALL metal parts I clean before re-installing :yes:

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Brake cleaner will eventually evaporate after you wipe it off. It leaves no residue. I use brake cleaner on ALL metal parts I clean before re-installing :yes:
I know that glue, I am just trying to understand why someone (someone's mechanic) would suggest cleaning an oil pan just to switch oil types. There is a lot more oil just laying around in the engine oil-ways and hollows in the block and heads.

If he had the pan off for some repair work, I am ok with cleaning it.

But, if the pan was still on, what did he do? If the cleaner was sprayed into the drain hole, there could be rod/main bearing damage.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after cleaning my throttle body yesterday and using scotch brite, my engine light came on! I started freaking out! I pulled over and popped the hood and noticed that I forgot to plug the AIT harness back into the intake :crazy: Light went away 20 minutes later :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nope while it was on

No he told me to stick the nozzle in and just start spraying. I sprayed inside where the oil plug goes and the oil cap. I realize there is no way i got all the oil out but it stopped draining then when i sprayed it a lot more came out.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
No he told me to stick the nozzle in and just start spraying. I sprayed inside where the oil plug goes and the oil cap. I realize there is no way i got all the oil out but it stopped draining then when i sprayed it a lot more came out.
If you want my opinion, and I realize you did not solicit an opinion, I would find a new mechanic.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
346 Posts
If your mechanic told you to spray stuff in your engine to clean the oil pan, just to switch oils, you need to kick him in the nuts.

NEVER goto that mechanic again. Drain the oil and switch, no need to clean anything. You are running the risk of stuff suspending in the oil and staying in your engine, which will be far worse than mixing conventional and synthetic oils.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks

It's always good to get different opinions. He has some pretty crazy ideas most of the times but sometimes they work and its a complete shock. It sounded like a good idea at the time.

·
Registered
2009 non_gmt360 other
883 Posts
You can use alot of different thing to clean a head, provided it's off the car while your doing it. Hell, you could probably use Simple Green so long as you wash it off thoroughly after doing so. Brake clean and a wire brush (like those little blue or black toothbrush shaped ones) work well for getting oil off/out.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
If your mechanic told you to spray stuff in your engine to clean the oil pan, just to switch oils, you need to kick him in the nuts.
I hope somebody that reads this thread in future limits it to a firm verbal nut kicking. I would say tongue lashing but that's just not working for me right now.

I would like to talk to him to find out what would make him think that it had to be cleaned out in that way :undecided :weird:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Interesting concept concerning scotch brite pads... Someone had better tell all the pro mechanics out there. They are the tool of choice for cleaning gaskets and surfaces.

I sold cases of them when I ran Snap On. Only thing is that they were round and fit on the end of an air grinder.

http://storeapps.net/search/3MeStore/index.php?keyword=3M Roloc Disc

EVERYONE is using these...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts