Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
232 Posts
320 is a bit rough.. spray paint might cover 320 scratches. professional paint wont. 600-800 wet sand is fine. No primar, use bulldog adhesion promoter if you want it to last.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
266 Posts
320 is a bit rough.. spray paint might cover 320 scratches. professional paint wont. 600-800 wet sand is fine. No primar, use bulldog adhesion promoter if you want it to last.
??? we use 320 all the time at the shop with "professional paint" ppg global to be exact.320 for base and 800 for clear. i would say 320 to shoot color on it or 180 to prime then 320 to color. make sure you use adhesion promotor tho.

·
Registered
232 Posts
??? we use 320 all the time at the shop with "professional paint" ppg global to be exact.320 for base and 800 for clear. i would say 320 to shoot color on it or 180 to prime then 320 to color. make sure you use adhesion promotor tho.

With base coat clear coat?? I could walk up to one of your paint jobs and point out sanding marks in the paint if so. I work at a body shop I could def. see 320 scratches.
When painting, 600 on regular paint/primar before base coat. and nothing less then 1500 for clear coat runs or 2000 on a clear coat. Who the hell sands clear coat with 800?? Not if you plan to buff it out, you'd have a hell of a time getting 800 sanding marks out of a black clear'd car.
180 is just obnoxious to use anywhere besides maybe rust or sanding down metal after shaving a door handle/ key hole etc.

Granted most people wont see 320, but I def. could. Anyone who gives a **** about their paint job could easily see 320 through a simple base coat clear coat.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
266 Posts
With base coat clear coat?? I could walk up to one of your paint jobs and point out sanding marks in the paint if so. I work at a body shop I could def. see 320 scratches.
When painting, 600 on regular paint/primar before base coat. and nothing less then 1500 for clear coat runs or 2000 on a clear coat. Who the hell sands clear coat with 800?? Not if you plan to buff it out, you'd have a hell of a time getting 800 sanding marks out of a black clear'd car.
180 is just obnoxious to use anywhere besides maybe rust or sanding down metal after shaving a door handle/ key hole etc.

Granted most people wont see 320, but I def. could. Anyone who gives a **** about their paint job could easily see 320 through a simple base coat clear coat.
are you serious?? do u not know about blending?? when ur paint a metallic car and you have to put base on a fender and blend out to the door..ur telling me u use 1500 to 2000?? im sure that paint sticks goood...if we paint a fender and blend the door... the paint part gets 400 now... and then other parts to be blended or whatever gets 800 grit. ur crazy for even thinking that we would sand a run out with 800 and try to buff it out...and u sand runs with 1500?? must not be very big ones other wise ud burn through on the surrounding parts of the run. thats when u get the little nit picking thing.. cant think of what its call but it shaves a run out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
are you serious?? do u not know about blending?? when ur paint a metallic car and you have to put base on a fender and blend out to the door..ur telling me u use 1500 to 2000?? im sure that paint sticks goood...if we paint a fender and blend the door... the paint part gets 400 now... and then other parts to be blended or whatever gets 800 grit. ur crazy for even thinking that we would sand a run out with 800 and try to buff it out...and u sand runs with 1500?? must not be very big ones other wise ud burn through on the surrounding parts of the run. thats when u get the little nit picking thing.. cant think of what its call but it shaves a run out.
No i thought you meant color sanding since you said sand the clear. For painting surfaces that do not need anywork i wetsand with 1000
doesnt surprise me you use such low grits before i knew anything i paid 2400 to have my car painted when i was 16, and looked damn good, except at the right angle up close in the sun i could see sanding marks. ie the 320 =[, As far as metallic goes its not such a big deal, it can match up very well without a blend, pearls on the other hand can be very difficult to match no matter what you do

to stay on topic, 6/800 wet sanding without primar... and just bulldog adjesion promoter will do the trick. Did my entire grill this way and it looks perfect
all of which is base/clear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts