Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife owns a Isuzu Ascender (rebadged TB/Envoy), and there's some whine. I know about the tensioner pulleys, idler, power steering pumps, etc.., but would it be safe to start the engine w/o the drivebelt installed? I'm trying to pinpoint a noise and want to remove it to see if the noise goes away indicating it's one of the pulley's or components connected to the drivebelt. Should I limit the amount of time the engine is on (since it could overheat because fan not attached)? Any other precautions I should take before starting it (like disconnect any component or turn off certain things)?

· Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
273 Posts
for a short period of time, yes. but don't go driving around town like that beings how you will not have alternator, A/C, water pump, power steering.

Like keep it under 5 minutes, but it shouldn't even take you that long to pinpoint where the whine is coming from...

· Registered
chevy trailblazer_ls
68 Posts
In the very short time it takes you to start it and listen if the noise if present with no belt running, you should be okay.

Just remember that with no belt, the water pump does not turn, so you can quickly overheat if to take too long.

· Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did the test and no noise w/belt off. Spun each pulley and found that the idler pulley is the culprit.

I got the Gates 38006 idler pulley from NAPA, but from reading different threads here (of course after I bought it), they say that the washer that is part of the OEM doesn't fit onto the Gates 38006. Some posts say don't need the washer because the bearing is sealed, others say you need it to center and prevent damage to the pulley from the bolt. So, will I be ok just leaving the washer off? It won't fit with the washer in place, it'll grind off a portion of the pulley.

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
218 Posts
I'm pretty sure I got a Gates when I did mine, but I definitely remember Not using the washer. If yours is the same as mine, it should actually say on the box that it is a sealed bearing and that a washer is not needed to protect it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.