Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a couple questions about wheel spacers on my 2007 Trailblazer LT. I had to replace tires yesterday and they said they had 245/70/17 at the shop. I looked it up while I waited and it said that this tire would barely fit on the Trailblazer but would be ok. So I went ahead with it. When they actually put the tires on they turned out to be 245/75/17!! So that brings me here.

I don't have much experience with spacers, lift kits, or anything but have found this site to be a good resource. Apparently everyone says 245/75/17s should not fit without spacers. Well these tires fit with literally 1 mm of clearance from the ball joint. I drove it home but do not want to use it without increasing this distance.

I plan on cutting into the ball joint a little to remove that edge and smooth it out. My question is, should I get 1/4" spacers, 3/8" spacers, or 1.5" spacers?

These tires do not rub on any of the wheel well or anything, they are just taller than the ball joint and extremely close. If I smooth out the ball joint and add 1/4" spacers, would that be a safe level of clearance? I also see people against using the 1/4" spacers. It seems to me that using the stock bolts on the car is safer than putting the integrity of the wheel onto a 1.5" spacer so based on my limited knowledge, a 1/4" spacer seems safer. Plus vibration also concerns me with the 1.5" so I would rather use 1/4". I've read that some people use 3/8" as well without issues.

Anyways! Please provide any recommendations you see fit. I took some pictures but it won't let me post any.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
That gap will not change unless your wheel bearings develop some play in them. You can smoothen out the upper knuckle area and be good. As your tread starts to wear the gap will grow bigger too. Even if the bearings give a little under load it wont be any significant amount I would worry about.

I wouldn't trust adding wheel spacers that thin on a vehicle this big. Our lug nuts are only threaded half way thru and taking away from that is not worth it in my opinion

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That gap will not change unless your wheel bearings develop some play in them. You can smoothen out the upper knuckle area and be good. As your tread starts to wear the gap will grow bigger too. Even if the bearings give a little under load it wont be any significant amount I would worry about.

I wouldn't trust adding wheel spacers that thin on a vehicle this big. Our lug nuts are only threaded half way thru and taking away from that is not worth it in my opinion
That is exactly what I did and I believe the clearance is sufficient enough as well that I won't need to deal with spacers. I wish I could post pictures/links on here to show the difference it made. It went from having 1 mm of clearance to having 3/8". These tires are huge in the wheel well but don't rub any fenders when turning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts