Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need wiring still, but I know some folks were waiting for this install. Also threw a shovel on the side opposite the HiLift jack. No rattles. Slightly increased wind noise with the sunroof open.

Also, a pic I forgot to put up with the hood struts and Optima red top battery. The Warn winch power cable connector is out, but normally rides tucked to the side of the battery. This was installed to the top posts of the Optima per their instructions, since a 9000 lb. winch can draw 450A at maximum effort, and that exceeds what Optima wants you to drain from their side terminals. Now I have to hack the battery box to hide and cool it all off before the desert heats up again soon.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,219 Posts
maybe if you get a sunroof visor the noise will reduce. That rack is pretty sweet though. Have you had to use the shovel yet?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
deathbynosleep said:
Have you had to use the shovel yet?
Not since I put it up;)

But yes, the last time I was stuck (non-mud), I had buried the jack and the shovel underneath camping equipment. Took longer to unpack 'em than to use 'em. Part of the reason for the rack was to keep camping stuff out of the back of the vehicle, and the other reason was for lights and recovery equipment mounting. The winch, unfortunately, is way too heavy to carry on the roof.

High-centered on the differential after I slid sideways into two ruts. The sides of the ruts collapsed unexpectedly and I didn't have enough forward momentum to keep from high-centering. Raise each rear wheel, throw a few 8-10" rocks underneath, drive off happy.:eek:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,716 Posts
Looks great! Got any pics of the lights with the covers off?

Hurry up and get the lights wired up so we can see some night shots!!:yes:

Also what are the technical advantages to roof mounted lights, as opposed to grille guard mounted lights?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dacomputernerd said:
Looks great! Got any pics of the lights with the covers off?
Soon. Using them next weekend. Might wire them tonight.

Hurry up and get the lights wired up so we can see some night shots!!:yes:
You guys are sooooooo demanding! :rolleyes:

Also what are the technical advantages to roof mounted lights, as opposed to grille guard mounted lights?
1) No grill guard on the Roadiemobile.

2) My use will be strictly off-road on desert trails, not for off-road trips per se, but just to get to a camping spot in the winter when I can't get there Friday night before dark. Roof lights are a bit easier to aim the outboard ones to the sides, to illuminate around tight corners (since I don't have the joystick-aimable spotlight you guys all urged me to get.)

3) I can use them to illuminate the campsite for setup while I get a lantern hanger up. Higher is better to get more light on the ground.

4) Finally, roof lights give you a much better view OVER rocks and dropoffs you're coming up to. Lights that start out below your eyeball level cast nasty and mysterious shadows that could obscure a pit, obstacle, or sharp thing. That's the most important safety issue to me.

Here's a typical campsite, in this case when I went with a Suburban full of folks from work. (The dark corners were because I stupidly put a polarizer on top of my UV filter and it vignetted.)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,716 Posts
@the roadie-

@Number4- Good point! :thumbsup:

Not demanding :raspberry , just curious :yes: :thumbsup: Good luck on the wiring, and take some pics if possible of the way you route your wires.

Good luck :grouphug:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
HOTRODSURFER said:
sweet set up roadie-thats why your the off road guru:hail:
:iagree: Good job!! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
Thanks for the update! Love how the Envoy is turning out. :cool: Any idea how much weight you have added with all the heavy mods?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Always cool to hear about your trips!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ghoster said:
Thanks for the update! Love how the Envoy is turning out. :cool: Any idea how much weight you have added with all the heavy mods?
Hmmmmm, been concerned about that as well, when looking up at a 30 degree hill. :confused:

Front hitch and skid plate: 50 lbs.
Rack, jack, shovel, lights: 40 lbs.
Removing roof rack crossbars: -5 lbs. (?)
Tire upgrade (GY Wrangler Silent Armor) & spacers: 40 lbs.
Second spare and carrier: 60 lbs.
Portable garage jack & stands: 25 lbs.
9000 lb. Winch and portable mounting plate/stinger: 90 lbs.
Other recovery equipment (straps, chains, jack accessories): 20 lbs.
Tools, spare parts, adhesives/duct tape: 40 lbs.
First aid kits (2) / flares / fire extinguishers (3): 15 lbs.
Overnight emergency kit/shelter/ten days food/blankets, cook kit, clothes: 20 lbs.
Minimum 10 gallons water at all times: 80 lbs.
On and off-road maps, trail books, computer, printer, 800W inverter: 20 lbs.
Next month's budgeted upgrade: PullPal winch anchor: 36 pounds

Maybe 500 lbs. plus the PullPal to come. Serious bloat - you're right. Can't imagine leaving anything behind. The Envoy is the lifeboat vehicle for me and Mrs. Roadie in case of earthquake or fleeing a wildfire in case it comes to that, even if we can't get to hitch up our trailer to live in.

Peace of mind that I'm always ready for what comes along: Priceless. :D

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
the roadie said:
Peace of mind that I'm always ready for what comes along: Priceless. :D
Couldn't have said it better myself. It makes you sleep better at night knowing that you're prepared fo the next world disaster :rotfl:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hey, Roadie, is that a Surco rack? If so, were the adapters to mount to your 'Voy little feet that slipped into the exsisting track? Thanks for any pertinent info. :)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tb05 said:
Hey, Roadie, is that a Surco rack? If so, were the adapters to mount to your 'Voy little feet that slipped into the exsisting track? Thanks for any pertinent info. :)
You must have missed my first thread on this rack, when it was just holding up the HiLift jack.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=3699

I said:

Surco made a mistake of claiming that their 1101 adapters were usable, and they weren't. They have an alternate adapter CH100 that goes right into the existing rails (once you remove the side-to-side crossmembers), but they hold the rack higher off the roof. If this doesn't bother you, the Surco rack is still neat. Modifying things is what I *live* for, so I like my tucked-down flat installation better.

1101:

CH100:

New data and pictures:

I didn't like the CH100 feet they offered me after I told 'em the 1101 clamps would NOT work with our roof racks, so what I did was take the rectangular nuts from the kit I had (that were supposed to hold the 1101 clamps to the crossmembers) and I slid those into the Envoy rails.

Problem was, now the Surco rack wanted to have its crossmember clamps right over the top of where I needed to put a screw down into those rectangular nut plates. So I removed the Surco brackets, drilled a little hole UNDERNEATH the bracket, through the threaded hole in the crossmember nutplate, and tightened it all down in a totally hidden way. You really have to see the hardware to understand how it went together. Nobody can steal it, that's for sure.

Why do I like the aluminum Surco? Half the price of steel ones, and more off-road safari rack looking than the Yakima or Thule mass-market poseur-SUV latte-swilling faux-off-roaders would put on.

You can imagine I really have no use for poseur-SUV latte-swilling faux-off-roaders.:hissy:

What I have is essentially the Surco rack down tight against its crossmembers, and the crossmembers down tight to the Envoy side rails. No feet. No gaps.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dacomputernerd said:
Got those night pics yet roadie? :undecided
Nah. Had them fired up last night for a test, but they just went out into the air because my driveway's on a hill. Better will be this weekend when I use 'em out in the desert for real. Should be able to post by Monday night.

Can't drive around on the public roads here with them uncovered - risking a ticket.

I think they're way tighter a beam than I wanted, but we have a new mini-sandblaster at work. Might put a slight frost on the lenses next week to turn them into more of an area flood than a far-focused driving light. I'm doing 5-10 MPH on trails like this in the dark, so I don't need a long-range light.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts