Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Saab 9-7x AWD locked.

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Garybowers5 
#1 ·
1st post but have been using the forum for while now. I have been having problems with my drivetrain on my 2006 9-7x. I first had to replace the the rear diff fluid. It worked for a while then started getting a binding problem and found it to be AWD not coming unlocked. I just replaced the encoder motor. It seemed to do the trick but then after a tight turn it locked up again. Something seems to be telling it to go into awd and not come out. Any help would be appreciated because it is driving me nuts.:bonk:

#4 ·
I have a 2005 SAAB 97x with AWD stuck in AWD. I was told there were some sensors that maybe linked to the encoder motor. Maybe they are shot. Maybe not. Going to try the encoder motor...first.
Let me know how you make out. I now have the same issue with my 9-7x... :mad: I currently have 85K on mine. Noticed the gas mileage has dropped dramatically too of course! :bonk:

It first happened a couple weeks ago and I was able to free it up by hot-rodding it on a bumpy gravel road. I figured it would be back though... I had changed the transfer case and differential fluids last fall so I'm sure thats not the issue. I unplugged the connector on the encoder motor and that had no effect, other than lighting up the "service AWD" light on the dash...

#5 ·
Locked in AWD

Since I just moved into a new house, I haven't set up the garage yet, so I had to take it to a mechanic. It was the encoder motor....I have seen them on line for about $225, but the shop charge me $300, plus labor, which only took two hours. That two hours included the diagnostics... Runs fine now.

#6 ·
Hey chuckwagon, how is your AWD situation working out? Did you ever find the issue? Obviously it was not the encoder motor also like jpeterman's... I have to believe there is at least a chance it can be the control circuit or the sensors not functioning properly so am hesitating at just throwing parts at it...

Any info that you or anyone else can give me is greatly appreciated! I'm also searching a factory service manual, but have a feeeling they are hard to come by...

#7 ·
Just to follow up on my 06 9-7x with this issue. ended up replacing the encoder motor with one that I found on Amazon for her $119. It was a Dorman 600-904. Took me about an hour to replace it and change the transfer case fluid again. Drives fantastic again! Was a very easy fix and would recommend doing this yourself. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.