Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd show my ignorance by asking why the S10's 4.3L V6 puts out less horsepower than the TB's 4.2L even though the 4.3L has a larger displacement. I'm thinking about getting a ZR2 as a daily driver that ill slowly turn into an offroader but I'm not too sure about the sub-200hp motor...

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
roadie speaks nothing but truth! but as it doesn't seem like that much power i had 3 ZR2's before my tb that were all lifted with at least 33's on them. i pulled car trailers, towed full size trucks, took them places i wouldn't dare take the tb, and they never let me down. the power output, although is less then the tb, never seemed to be a problem and always did more then i could ask for. i say go for it. they are very fun and very tough trucks in my opinion.
now pic whoring to convince you lol

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
The very interesting thing is the 4.3 is one of the best engines ever designed by anyone, and is based on a shortened good ole Chevy 350. (Only the BEST and strongest engine designs are ever used as marine engines by all the stern drive manufacturers because of the HUGE amount of strain that marine engines run under. Popular marine engines include the 4.3 V6, the 350 V8 and the 454 V8; all GM engines, and all common in the stern drive market.)

Between my wife and I, we have owned three 4.3 litre Blazers over the years.

That being said, the 4.3 is old-school pushrod technology. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but contrast that to the I6. Pushrod overhead valves and two valves per cylinder versus double overhead camshafts operating four valves per cylinder. Ten years ago, 24-valve DOHC inline six engines were only found on race cars and the odd BMW. Today, we use the same technology on our SUVs.

It was a sad day when GM cancelled this platform!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
I currently have a 97 ZR2 truck, mostly a good truck for how much I have beat the living piss out of it, but it has a lot of miles (hard miles) and there are some problems that keep coming around (ie the idler arm and other front end stuff). The 4.3 is a good engine, and never had an issue with it being underpowered, good low end power, but they do get a little winded in the higher rpm range it seems.

heres a good pic of mine:

and the latest pic :worried:

still runs and all just needs a new door, windshield and a few dents pulled, but because of the hard miles on my truck and its age, I've been looking into a newer TB, plus I really would like to have something with 4 doors, but still figuring out if a TB is what I want and if It will do and hold up to what I would do with it.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Of course :cool: I've been reading a lot on here about off roading these and looking at what I would have to do and what can be done, I can get a decent lift, and tires (31-32"ish) and all that stuff. Still unsure if the TB will be the 'right' size, but I think it will be with a rack on the top and/or back. etc etc lol lots of reading and searching...

[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info, guys. its much appreciated. so wats the compatibilities of maybe later swapping a good ol V8 into one of these 4x4 S10's. I was thinking about the iron block V8 out of the C2 pickups or watever. I was told its just like a LS3 only all iron. loads of torgue and all. my buddy has one that hauled a couple cars on a large car hauler like it was pulling a feather. i plan on making it into a hardcore offroader later with removing the bed and building in a roll cage, V8 swap, decent lift that wont make it too top heavy. I'm gonna look into custom work for the largest tires on a minimal lift. As for my TB, I'll be trading that in once its paid off as a down payment on my beloved TBSS! to further the questions i have on this subject: wats the diff between the ZR2 and a regular S10 thats a 4x4. I see obvious differences but dont know wats going on inside.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There are entire forums devoted to swapping v8s into those trucks, though the v8s of choice appear to be the LS1 and LT1, since they're nearly bulletproof. Try going to LS1tech.com. I used to have a 95 s10 blazer and researched it, and apparently it's a fairly common mod.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
thanks for the info, guys. its much appreciated. so wats the compatibilities of maybe later swapping a good ol V8 into one of these 4x4 S10's. I was thinking about the iron block V8 out of the C2 pickups or watever. I was told its just like a LS3 only all iron. loads of torgue and all. my buddy has one that hauled a couple cars on a large car hauler like it was pulling a feather. i plan on making it into a hardcore offroader later with removing the bed and building in a roll cage, V8 swap, decent lift that wont make it too top heavy. I'm gonna look into custom work for the largest tires on a minimal lift. As for my TB, I'll be trading that in once its paid off as a down payment on my beloved TBSS! to further the questions i have on this subject: wats the diff between the ZR2 and a regular S10 thats a 4x4. I see obvious differences but dont know wats going on inside.
LS3 and any old V8 have the basic design in common and thats it. They are much more like the L76 and L92 block which are only slightly different than the LS1/6 and LS2 blocks. So using an old iron block will give you much less power and much more weight stock for stock.

The 4.3L V6 is a workhorse, I love the power of the I6 but the V6 makes more low end just because its a V motor versus an inline. As for durability, Chickenhawk is dead on. My friends old SeaRay uses a MerCruiser 4.3 and my uncle's Cobalt is a Volva Penta 7.4L (aka 454). Bulletproof engines that get spun for extended periods at 3500-4500rpms easily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Differences of ZR2:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPO_ZR2

Far as modding a ZR2, go to ZR2usa.com, there is a wealth of info on these trucks here, V8 swaps, Solid front axle swaps etc etc. I've been somewhat active there, but plan on selling the Z so not so much any more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.