Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am considering a purchase of a 2007 TBSS AWD. Thus far I have not had any dealer to confirm or deny that this vehicle may be flat towed behind an RV. Does anyone on the forum currently tow a TBSS AWD with all wheels down w/o mods, w/mods, or know where information is available? Thanks, BP :undecided

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
121 Posts
Somebody who know more than me will probably chime in soon ... but in the meantime I am 99% sure that you can not tow an awd on all wheels without causing major damage - perhaps there is modifications that can be made to allow you to do it - I'm not sure. I would think the owners manual should address this.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The dealers you've been talking to are goofs who won't even bother to open the Owner's Manual to find the info you need? We have manuals here on trailvoy in the "Resources" pull-down menu. And the SS will not be flat-towable as a dinghy. Only the 4WD vehicles (not AWD or 2WD) have a neutral position in their transfer case to make it possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 chevy
180 Posts
As roadie illustrated:

DO NOT TOW AN AWD WITH ANY OF ITS WHEELS TOUCHING THE GROUND!!!!

:no:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
big big big big big no-no...buy a full size trailer nd tow it on that

if you hit the search on the top, this has been discussed before more indepth

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
As the others have said, this is a BIG NO NO. Easy way to kill your brand new TBSS in a few miles. The way the Torsen T3 center differential works it will lock either the rear (front wheels off the ground) or the front (rear wheels off the ground) [no idea about all 4 on the ground but it cant be pretty] wheels on the ground. Basically its a great way to have to replace the transfer case and probably the transmission.

Have to get a TB with 4X4, not 2WD (pull the driveshaft) or a Bravada/9-7X/Rainier with "AWD". Even then you cannot dolly tow a 4WD TB for extended periods without adding the proper cooling devices (not exactly sure as Ive never towed one dolly style behind a RV). But, if you're looking at an SS for the performance aspect, can always get an 06-08 SWB TB with the 5.3L V8 and turn it into a 6.0L V8 easily and do the minor suspension upgrades. Ive thought about doing this, that way I could have selectable 4WD but I decided I love the SS enough and dont have a reason to need 4WD when I can make do with AWD.

Hope this helps!

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Spend the $1600 on a 16' flat bed trailer... Plus, it has brakes...

The deal with flat towing an automatic transmission is that autos are lubricated by the input pump (manuals don't have a pump, and are lubricated by either shaft turning, so they cool and lubricate fine), and if the input (engine side) is not turning, then there is no lubrication or cooling for the transmission... You can flat tow a 2WD/AWD automatic with the transmission in neutral for ~20 miles or so, but more than that will cook the trans... If you have to go 40-50 miles, you can idle the engine and tow in neutral, but that can lead to a whole host of other problems...

The real way to flat tow anything with an automatic is for it to be part time 4WD and have a "neutral" in the T-case (I know the full time/N/LO Jeep GCs have this, and it also works), and tow it with the trans in Park and the T-case in Neutral...

If you really need to tow the SS flat, you can just take the drive shafts out, but be sure to check the T-case fluid when you're done (or tie the rear drive shaft up above the rear end while leaving it plugged into the output of the T-case), because it will leak on hills and such, if you take the drive shaft out...

Mike

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all input!

Thanks to everyone who posted input on this thread. I am reconsidering what to tow behind the RV with all 4 wheels down. Defiantly not an SS...though I do like this vehicle.:thx

·
3,700 Posts
Thanks to everyone who posted input on this thread. I am reconsidering what to tow behind the RV with all 4 wheels down. Defiantly not an SS...though I do like this vehicle.:thx
Seriously... Flat towing is a major PITA... No brakes, unless you spend $2k on one of those machines that sits in the foot well and pushes the brake pedal, and you can't back up for any distance with anything you flat tow, due to how the steering on cars/trucks works... A 16' flat bed trailer is the answer... Plus then you don't have to mount a tow mount on the front of the SS... Plus, they can be had in the $1700 range, new, and less used...

Mike

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
234 Posts
I flat towed my TB BUT it is 2wd and I dropped the driveshaft. saved alot of $$$. Not everybody has $1600 to spend.

Sorry to whore but I couldnt help it.

:)

I'm sure that I broke mad laws but it worked for me. Oh...and dont do it. Do as I say not as I do.

·
3,700 Posts
I flat towed my TB BUT it is 2wd and I dropped the driveshaft. saved alot of $$$. Not everybody has $1600 to spend.

Sorry to whore but I couldnt help it.

:)

I'm sure that I broke mad laws but it worked for me. Oh...and dont do it. Do as I say not as I do.
Doing it once behind a UHaul truck for a move is one thing... I think somebody who has the $10k-$350k for a Class A RV that they're going to use for long distances, on a regular basis, has $1600 for a trailer...

Heck, you're at the $1600 by the time you buy the tow bar and the machine to press the brake pedal in the towed vehicle...

Mike

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
2 Posts
Remove the rear drive shift and tow it with the front off the ground if you don't want a full sized trailer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts