Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2006 EXT in January with 16,813 miles on it. After a couple of weeks I noticed a rusty cooler of some kind at the bottom of the radiator area. After purchasing the factory service manual found out this was the power steering cooler. I also note on several threads, that some people have had their cooler leak after several years.

I have owned 10 "new" vehicles over the past 34 years and have never seen a rusty cooler on any of them even 9 years old. Most coolers ar made from Aluminum not mild steel. Has anyone else noticed rusting on their P/S cooler/ Has any one removed and replaced or removed the rust and painted with chasis saver or equivilent paint? If I add PCM's trany cooler I will remove P/S cooler, sand blast and paint to prevent further rusting.

Chris

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
The sand blasting should be ok as long as the surface rust is not too deep. The more you take off the thinner the metal gets. I looked at mine a while back and thought that it had aluminum fins on it. :undecided crap .... now I have to go look.

Is there not a coating you can spray or paint on rust to cause a chemical change in the process and make it as hard as rock? Mild steel .... man, that's got me going outside in the dark now with a flashlight. :bonk:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
20 Posts
Checked under my 04 Trailblazer last week, saw i had a pretty rusty cooler too. My plan is just to scrape the rust off with a wire brush and then coat the thing with rust inhibitor from rustoleum.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ChicagoDre,

I took my cooler off on a Saturday several days after posting. Connected a rubber hose to both ends and sand blasted not just the cooler but the steel bumper under the bumper cover. It was well rusted where the bumper cover had rubbed off the paint. I used Chasis Saver paint, 4 coats. I used ~ 30 pounds of play sand I got at Home Depot. The play sand from Lowe's doesn't work as it is not fine and uniform in size. I don't think a wire brush will be adequate.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.