Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this worth fixing ? Its getting worse over the years.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
364 Posts
The first question to ask yourself is how much longer do you plan to keep your TrailBlazer? The second question to ask yourself is what condition is the rest of your TrailBlazer - engine, transmission, rest of the body?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first question to ask yourself is how much longer do you plan to keep your TrailBlazer? The second question to ask yourself is what condition is the rest of your TrailBlazer - engine, transmission, rest of the body?
I plan on keeping it untill it goes to the junkyard I dont sell any of my vehicles. Its a 2003 with 120,000 on it. Rest of the body is clean with no additional rust besides that passanger side. Engine is strong as ever as I change my oil every 3500 miles or so and the trans is in good shape im about to change the fluid again as I had it done about 40,000 miles ago. I want to keep the truck till it dies then ill get a tahoe. I dont really daily drive it because I have my cruze eco. I mainly use it to haul my fourwheeler and go camping. Ive had it for going on 8 years and it never left me stranded. Its my baby and I certainly treat it like that. I just dont want that rust to get really bad that it starts eating through the door. Its certainly worth putting a few grand into it if thats how much a body shop would charge. I dont have a payment on it and to me its worth it because I should be able to easily get another 3 or so years out of it because of how I maintain it and take care of it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think you answered your own question. If I were in your shoes, and I too also keep my vehicles until they DEAD, I would go ahead and get the rust fixed. You might also want to spray some Fluid Film into the interior of the doors as a form of rustproofing in order to slow down/minimize/prevent any additional rust formation.

Just as an FYI, we bought our 04 TrailBlazer new, and had it rusfproofed and undercoated at a Ziebart.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you answered your own question. If I were in your shoes, and I too also keep my vehicles until they DEAD, I would go ahead and get the rust fixed. You might also want to spray some Fluid Film into the interior of the doors as a form of rustproofing in order to slow down/minimize/prevent any additional rust formation.

Just as an FYI, we bought our 04 TrailBlazer new, and had it rusfproofed and undercoated at a Ziebart.
Thanks for your input yea my mechanic is now doing undercoating im thinking about getting it done. If I do ill get the cruze done also

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
13 Posts
Thanks for your input yea my mechanic is now doing undercoating im thinking about getting it done. If I do ill get the cruze done also
Diamond 193, I too keep cars till they are dead. I haven't sold a car in 20 years. I want to weigh in on undercoating a used car as it is a very bad idea. The only time a car should be undercoated is when brand new and even then it should be cleaned before undercoating. If your car has any dirt or rust underneath, the undercoating won't stick in all the places. That means that some will gap and trap moisture and even worse, salt water. If you want to rust proof any car that is not new, go to one of the oil coatings companies like Rust Check or Krown Rust Control. Their treatments will adhere to rust and will never trap moisture. My old envoy has had a rough life, often driven in winter snow because of the 4 wheel drive, then let to set in the driveway coated with salt for months. I had it treated 3 years ago and it has yet to break in rust. When they spray it, they spray inside all the panels. In Indianapolis there are 3 classic body shops that do alot of rust repair and having Rust Check treat it after they fix it is part of their estimate for rust repair. It really is the only choice for rustproofing anything that is not brand new. If you have rust on one side, you need to treat it before the other side breaks out too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diamond 193, I too keep cars till they are dead. I haven't sold a car in 20 years. I want to weigh in on undercoating a used car as it is a very bad idea. The only time a car should be undercoated is when brand new and even then it should be cleaned before undercoating. If your car has any dirt or rust underneath, the undercoating won't stick in all the places. That means that some will gap and trap moisture and even worse, salt water. If you want to rust proof any car that is not new, go to one of the oil coatings companies like Rust Check or Krown Rust Control. Their treatments will adhere to rust and will never trap moisture. My old envoy has had a rough life, often driven in winter snow because of the 4 wheel drive, then let to set in the driveway coated with salt for months. I had it treated 3 years ago and it has yet to break in rust. When they spray it, they spray inside all the panels. In Indianapolis there are 3 classic body shops that do alot of rust repair and having Rust Check treat it after they fix it is part of their estimate for rust repair. It really is the only choice for rustproofing anything that is not brand new. If you have rust on one side, you need to treat it before the other side breaks out too.
Thanks for the reply yes my mechanic uses the oil based coatings it actually never dries. This is what they are using.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, the rust at bottom of your passenger door, it's not structural. I would just spray and keep spraying wd-40 on it, which won't reverse the rust damage to date but it will certainly slow down the process by inhibiting moisture. of course, you can pay for professional repair but it is not cheap. the worst rust I see on cars these days are those on old Chrysler/Dodge minivans.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't worry too much, the rust at bottom of your passenger door, it's not structural. I would just spray and keep spraying wd-40 on it, which won't reverse the rust damage to date but it will certainly slow down the process by inhibiting moisture. of course, you can pay for professional repair but it is not cheap. the worst rust I see on cars these days are those on old Chrysler/Dodge minivans.
Do you have any idea of how much a body shop would charge to fix that ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
how much a bodyshop would charge? you REALLY dont want to know...as far as I'm concerned they've been hijacked by the auto insurance companies and can charge as much as they want to......

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
78 Posts
Do you have any idea of how much a body shop would charge to fix that ?
"Typical" body shops tend to shy away from rust repair. To do it right it takes some talents you don't find in your average body shop. Making and fitting patch panels that will totally "cut out the cancer" is pretty rare and specialized.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well its not too far gone maybe I can just have it sanded down and repainted

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
13 Posts
Diamond 193, Look on ebay, there are rustfree doors from texas fairly cheap. Cheaper than rust repair. It would depend on how much of the work you do. If you take the stripped door and paint to a body shop and all they have to do is paint it, that should not cost much. If you want a real bargain, take it in the winter and tell them you are not in a hurry and to do it when they don't have any ice/snow work to do. And that you will pay them in cash and don't need a receipt. That should get you about 50% off the regular price. After they paint it take it home and change out the door when you have time to do it. Rustfree parts will stay rustfree much longer than a repaired panel will. Something about the heat from welding in new metal makes the metal weak and more likely to rust again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diamond 193, Look on ebay, there are rustfree doors from texas fairly cheap. Cheaper than rust repair. It would depend on how much of the work you do. If you take the stripped door and paint to a body shop and all they have to do is paint it, that should not cost much. If you want a real bargain, take it in the winter and tell them you are not in a hurry and to do it when they don't have any ice/snow work to do. And that you will pay them in cash and don't need a receipt. That should get you about 50% off the regular price. After they paint it take it home and change out the door when you have time to do it. Rustfree parts will stay rustfree much longer than a repaired panel will. Something about the heat from welding in new metal makes the metal weak and more likely to rust again.
Thanks for the idea I found one on ebay same color to.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
13 Posts
If you can get one that is already painted your color that would be great. Just make sure the seller knows you are planning on not painting it and to be extra careful when removing/shipping it. I might offer him a reward if he gets it to you undamaged.

·
Registered
39 Posts
LKQ junkyards in Maryland where I live has whole doors for only 60.00, glass included. You take it off car butt is just a matter of lifting it off the hinges. For outside of state, the problem is shipping cost is horrendous since they're so bulky and heavy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is this worth fixing ? Its getting worse over the years.
View attachment 55486 View attachment 55487 View attachment 55488
You could what I do. I dilute STP with paint thinner (gas smell too much) and shoot it into the bottom of the door at each end. If there's not a drain hole at each end, drill one on rhe back side. Dilute it so that it is runny enough to flow well. Shoot into each end until it comes out the other end. The STP is REALLY thick after the thinner evaporates. I've found it will completely stop the rusr for many years. It has worked every time! You can't find a cheaper fix.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ask a body shop how much it would cost to reskin the door. Passenger side on our 04 TB got sideswiped, and the body shop did not replace the doors - they reskinned and repainted them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ask a body shop how much it would cost to reskin the door. Passenger side on our 04 TB got sideswiped, and the body shop did not replace the doors - they reskinned and repainted them.
Im gonna find out this weekend how much a body shop would charge me to fix it. I know somone who owns a shop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts