Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start, thanks for taking the time to read this post!

I've been experiencing a problem of steady low groan(low speed)/rumble(mid-high speed) and vibration that increases with pitch and frequency and don't know the culprit. The noise and vibration is consistent at a set speed whether accelerating, coasting, or dropped into neutral. It is consistent at speed not engine RPM. I've ruled out wheel balance issues (had all 4 wheels balanced and aligned) as well as front wheel bearing and CV axels. My U-joints appear to be fine (no dust, wobble, or obvious wear). I've never really worked on a 4 wheel drive vehicle before, so this is a bit of a learning curve. I notice there is play under the center of the vehicle where the front drive shaft and rear shaft connect. The play/wobble is on the front side not the rear U-joint. There is no movement when I try to rock my rear wheels, so I'm guessing it's not the bearings in the back either. I know there's a lot more I have to check, but would appreciate any advice on where to start.

Chris

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
182 Posts
I know you had the wheels balanced, but possibly a bad tire/tread separating?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help!

I actually just had two tires replaced (low tread depth) and when examining the other two, there wasn't any uneven wear or bubbling at all.

I was on the road quite a bit today and am now very confident that it's coming from the front, and in the center. That would mean maybe something with the front differential, right??? I checked the U joint up front previously, and it seemed fine.

I really appreciate your advice. Like I said, this is new for me.

Chris

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you've narrowed down to that area of the truck, I suppose it could be a pinion or carrier bearing...Not sure how to go about verifying/checking that though...Do you have a differential shop close by?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah :)

Sound like something out of my league then, huh?

Again, thank you!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've always let the pros handle those issues, but don't let that scare you :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts