Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Envoy XUV . !90,000 or so . I thought I had a transmission problem which I think was shot and fixed part of the problem . Just had Trans rebuilt , clutch packs , sensors ,pressure manifold , when i got it back it had a SLIP ???
RPM's jump between 3rd and 4th gear , the guy that rebuilt it thought maybe i had a valve body sticking , so replaced that . Still happens , now he thinks maybe it the throttle body sensor , which I guess on this is the entire throttle body with actuator .. Anybody have some input.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
340 Posts
Are you towing or loading the engine and at what speed? This would be normal and undesirable if you were loading the engine with climbing hills or towing and trying to cruise at a speed just above the normal point where the torque converter locks. Go faster or slower or shift down manually to prevent this situation from damaging the transmission.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is everyday driving , no towing . the rpm's jump somewhere between 300 t0 500 rpm's every shift between 3rd and 4th or maybe 2nd and 3rd ill have to recheck that. it seems to be worse when it warms up . I also replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensors

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
472 Posts
Well it's most likely 2nd and third. If so your 3-4 clutches are worn out. It's possible from third to fourth but very rare. If so that would indicate the band is burnt pretty bad and since it's the same band used for second I would think second would be slipping at least a little. If it really is 3-4 slip, I don't know off the top of my head, if it's not the band something inside is leaking oil when it shifts.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said originally , Trans was just rebuilt . All new parts. The guy that did the rebuild says he's done a thousand rebuilds. swears it couldn't be internal . He went back and changed the pressure manifold and also the valve body, thought it may have been a leaky , sticking piston

·
Registered
472 Posts
Did that fix it? Where is the slip? 2-3 or 3-4? Also, I've built a thousand of them too, still every so often one didn't work right.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Another thing, when people rebuild a transmission, many of the parts inside are used over again. 99 percent of torque converters are re-manufactured and are not new. Many other components are "Rebuilt" as well, such as planetary gears and the like. This is the way it has always been done. If you had to replace all the parts in a trans with new parts, if you could get them when you rebuilt it, most could not afford it.

Ford Motor Company will not sell you a new torque converter nor will GM. Many control valve bodies are reman as well. There apparently is much diversity in the word "rebuilt". They even sometimes combine it with the word "new", such as in "new rebuilt" whatever that is supposed to mean;)

I have a good friend with a shop at his house and he wanted me to fix a 4L60 trans in a 2004 GMC pickup as cheaply as possible. He just wanted me to fix what was wrong with it. The 3-4 clutches had failed in it like they usually do, and it needed seals and gaskets. Total cost for him parts wise including fluid was 105 dollars. It worked like new, even though all the rest of the used clutches and things were not replaced. Don't know how long it will work but if it doesn't leak or break something, it's been my experience it will last a good while.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK Thanks for info Mike , the guy working on it said he will do whatever it takes to fix . I guess I'll find out , I had a mechanic he was working with pull and reinstall the trans , not sure how he's going to feel about that . He charge me $400 I'd rather not have to pay again .If I do find it was something else I'll let you know. Thanks again Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts