Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Envoy SLT that has been giving me a problem randomly for the past year. It has roughly 72k and has been maintained pretty well. The problem is intermittent and happens sometimes at idle sometimes in town and sometimes on the freeway. In all situations it will begin to run rough first. At idol it will cut power and surge while sitting at a light. In town and on the freeway it will start running rough and then loose power. You can give it more gas with the throttle but most of the time will not increase the rpm, just stay the same. Other times it will try to remain the same rpm but small surge in RPM. I have cleaned the throttle body and has not made a difference. The dealer told me to replace the gas cap(did nothing). They also said that I had a dent in the gas tank and that was the problem. Dropped the tank and no dents or damege at all. There is a service engine light on but I do not have a tool to give me the code. Anyone have this problem or similar? Looking for some help on a budget. Thanks

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
165 Posts
I have a 2004 Envoy SLT that has been giving me a problem randomly for the past year. It has roughly 72k and has been maintained pretty well. The problem is intermittent and happens sometimes at idle sometimes in town and sometimes on the freeway. In all situations it will begin to run rough first. At idol it will cut power and surge while sitting at a light. In town and on the freeway it will start running rough and then loose power. You can give it more gas with the throttle but most of the time will not increase the rpm, just stay the same. Other times it will try to remain the same rpm but small surge in RPM. I have cleaned the throttle body and has not made a difference. The dealer told me to replace the gas cap(did nothing). They also said that I had a dent in the gas tank and that was the problem. Dropped the tank and no dents or damege at all. There is a service engine light on but I do not have a tool to give me the code. Anyone have this problem or similar? Looking for some help on a budget. Thanks
what is done to it? stock?? more info

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
There is a service engine light on but I do not have a tool to give me the code. Anyone have this problem or similar? Looking for some help on a budget. Thanks
You really need to get those codes. Until we have those codes we are taking wild stabs in the dark! Unfortunately in Ca. nobody does it for free anymore (like Autozone, etc). The good news is there are fairly cheap code readers.

BTW speaking of stabs in the dark - have the spark plugs ever been replaced? They are suppose to be good for 100K miles, but I changed mine out at 50K miles and it made a big difference in performance.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Oh, we certainly need the code. LOTS of troubleshooting paths to explore, but they all work better if we have the code.

One odd set of reports I've noticed in the last few months is that idle problems, after taking care of the dirty throttle body (the #1 cause of idle issues), can be caused by gunked up filter screens in the Cam Position Actuator. You certainly don't want to start pulling parts and cleaning them without doing the simple thing first of reading the code, but keep it in mind.

Personally, I would never take the vehicle back to a dealer that lied to me like that about the tank. And it's a laughable technical diagnosis as well. :rotfl:

You should be able to get the code read for free at most auto parts stores. They hope to sell you the parts. Just don't take their advice on the diagnosis. Bring the EXACT code here to trailvoy for us to look up. Many of us have shop manuals, and mine is for 2004, just like you have.

...in Ca. nobody does it for free anymore (like Autozone, etc).
Did they ALL quit because of the lawsuit issue? Ick. Glad I have a couple of code readers. I see you can get low end readers for under $50 now! It should be a mandatory tool nowadays on vehicles like ours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get a code reader Saturday and give an update of what I find. Like I said I was going to buy a MAF sensor after a friend up north suggested it was a high possibility. Iv'e put like 40k on it in the last 14 months driving mostly hwy miles. I changed the plugs at 50k but that had no affect on the issue. Thanks for the help, hopefully I can make some headway on this over the weekend.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
I'm suspecting something to do with the exhaust (o2 sensors or a clogged cat). but the codes will tell us all!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Did they ALL quit because of the lawsuit issue? Ick. Glad I have a couple of code readers. I see you can get low end readers for under $50 now! It should be a mandatory tool nowadays on vehicles like ours.
As far as I know they all did quit - that is Autozone and various auto parts stores. Leave it to Kalifornia! :(

But I agree, a code reader is a must for these vehicles. The days of using a paper clip and watching the check engine light are pretty much over!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts