Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,
I know this has been discussed before, but I'm putting my version out there for anyone it may help.

For the last 20,000 miles or so, I've had intermittent issues with very Rough Idle. When idling, the car would sound like it's about to die, then kick back up and idle normally for a couple of minutes, then do it again.

I took it to the dealer serveral times, they reprogrammed the PCM, cleaned the throttle body (which helped a little), changed the plugs, and did everything they could think of, then finally came to the conclusion that it was normal fuel trimming behavior, so I learned to live with it.

Just recently, I was at a stop sign, and the car died with a no/low oil pressure warning on the console, now I'm freaking out. A couple of days later, I got the check engine/service engine soon light, and took it to Advanced Auto. It brought up 2 codes, P0014 and another P0014. I found a bunch of articles on the subject, all pointing to flaws with the Cam Position Actuator. I removed mines to inspect. It requires removal of serpentine belt & removal of power steering which is easy to do if you have a serpentine belt tool or come up with something that will do the same thing. Although all the screens where intact, I found the #2 screen was completely plugged with gunk. I gave it a good cleaning with carb cleaner, put it back, then stoped by the local Jiffy Lube and did a engine oil flush just in case. The car is now running good as new, no more rough idle, the check engine light turned off on its own, and have noticed much better gas mileage. Cleaning this screen should probably be part of regular maintenance. It almost looks like it was designed to fail at some point. I'll let you know the long term results, but so far a drastic improvement! :woohoo:

In case you are wondering, the Cam Position Actuator is #421 on the diagram below.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
Thanks for the information and diagram, will be very helpful in the future. Mine is just beginning to show signs of oil seeping so this is a go for me in the near future.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
Rough idle

I Am having the same problems with my 04 Trailblazer; I have pulled actuator out but didn't remove PS pump to get it all the way out so I couldn't really tell if the screens are blocked. I will be doing repair very soon like tomorrow.:)
:thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The folks at Chevy didn't want to make it easy didn't they. If they did, they couldn't charge you as much... :no:

As you have found, you have to pull the power steering. Once you get it out, you be able to pull it out entirely and see the screens.

Glad it helped someone!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
I just got the code tonight even though everything seems fine. Mine seems to be leaking a lot of oil, but i'm going to try cleaning it tonight and possible post a how to with pictures.. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
17 Posts
Good stuff... I've got 110k miles on my '03 tblazer. The cam position actuator is on its way from parts4chevys.com as we speak and I'll be changing it out along with installing some ACdelco iridium sparks plugs, new serpentine & a good throttle body cleaning. I've been struggling w/ the p00014 code for a while now. It's just one of those things trailvoy owners have to go through at some point I guess. We should all be certified trailvoy mechanics after a few years of ownership...

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
41 Posts
Im got this issue going on for the 2nd straight year. Always seems to happen when its cold and im gonna attempt to pull it apart. With this and the damn thing not wanting to shift into 4th Im ready to find someone to burn this thing. Great truck till it started to crap the bed

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
Same issue, not solved.

I have the same issue, mine was slightly blocked in the center screens, I put a new one in and same crap. I still have variable oil preasure, and I get a P0014 Exhaust Camshaft Position System Performance error code every one in while.

I can't seem to figure it out

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
12 Posts
P0014

Hi, all,, i got this code P0014,
the engine its working normally, the oil pressure gauge shows 40, i just change the oil but the check engine still is there, i just drive few miles after oil change ...
I read the post indicating to clean the position sensor screens, I saw in the auto parts, a "engine flush" product, it indicate that could clean internally the engine, before to make a oil change, do you think that could be work to clean the screens or the sensor by its self?

do you have some pictures about this camshaft actuator or screens?

thanks

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
I just got the P0014 code on my way into work this morning. It seems to come up everytime I'm close to an oil change. The DIC says 18% oil life left. After the oil change, it comes up for a couple days and then it's gone until I'm close to my next oil change.

I'm going to try to clean the screen as noted in the above posts and see what happens. I've never touched it with 153K miles on the truck.

Probably won't get to it, until this weekend.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
great job! might try this at the same time im getting my ac bearings replaced.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
60 Posts
I just got the P0014 code on my way into work this morning. It seems to come up everytime I'm close to an oil change. The DIC says 18% oil life left. After the oil change, it comes up for a couple days and then it's gone until I'm close to my next oil change.

I'm going to try to clean the screen as noted in the above posts and see what happens. I've never touched it with 153K miles on the truck.

Probably won't get to it, until this weekend.
How many miles before your due???

I'm getting this too...

Last time I fixed it with an oil change, but I still have almost 1500 before I'm due...

I'd hope I don't have to change the Oil every 1500-2000 Miles... Frustrating this is...

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
How many miles before your due???
I'm getting this too...
Last time I fixed it with an oil change, but I still have almost 1500 before I'm due...
I'd hope I don't have to change the Oil every 1500-2000 Miles... Frustrating this is...
The P0014 came on after about 6,000 miles after my last oil change. The DIC indicated 18% left. I reset the SES light with my scanner a week before the oil change and haven't seen the light since then. Got the oil changed around 6400 miles, since the last time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The P0014 came on after about 6,000 miles after my last oil change. The DIC indicated 18% left. I reset the SES light with my scanner a week before the oil change and haven't seen the light since then. Got the oil changed around 6400 miles, since the last time.
My stupid scanner does not reset lights/errors...

Stupid book codes start out at like 0100 and P0014, is just a tad under that....:bonk:

·
Registered
60 Posts
smullen73 said:
Stupid book codes start out at like 0100 and P0014, is just a tad under that....:bonk:
What does above mean? Can you re-write what you're saying?
OK...

I have a scanner, turns out its a cheapy I guess...

It came with a book that lists all the Error codes that said scanner mentioned right above will display...

EX: It tells you... P0014, you flip open the book, all the codes are listed in numerical order, you look through and see what it says above mentioned error code means...

The stupid book's codes start out at like 0100....

So as far as the book is concerend, your Eff'ed if you get somethng under 0100, which is where it starts....

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
OK...

I have a scanner, turns out its a cheapy I guess...

It came with a book that lists all the Error codes that said scanner mentioned right above will display...

EX: It tells you... P0014, you flip open the book, all the codes are listed in numerical order, you look through and see what it says above mentioned error code means...

The stupid book's codes start out at like 0100....

So as far as the book is concerend, your Eff'ed if you get somethng under 0100, which is where it starts....
Thanks for the clarification. That is stupid.:bonk: You can always try this site: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

I bought my scanner from CostCo $35. It gets the job done, but doesn't do any real-time analysis, such as O2 sensor readings.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
22 Posts
I'm stumped on thsi one. Having he same error, P0014. I've changed the oil (to synthetic even), removed and cleaned the cam position actuator, replaced the actuator and the position sensor. I'm out of ideas. Anybody else have suggestions of things to try?

I hate seeing that little orange light on every day!!
Grrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
15 Posts
I would think this place could be good because I tried the same options and mine is still failing.

After fixing all of my other problems the car started stuttering and hesitating ALOT especially during acceleration at any speed. It would feel like its misfiring continuously. Well since then the actual solenoid has been replaced twice with brand new OEM ones and the problem still continues to persist. The problem never went away and the code doesn't always show up but with a scanner it is listed under a pending code.

Do you think changing the spark plugs or coils can make a difference because my solenoid is brand new so that can't be causing the problem but it feels SO MUCH like a misfire. Also I read that doing a PCM re-flash will help, is there any truth to that? During this time my O2 sensor code came up as well, but this might be a side-effect of the previous problems.

Any help is appreciated mainly because the problem started with a p0014 but doesn't seem associated with it because it still persists with a brand new solenoid installed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts