Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I'm lost with two issues. I've read through these forums and maybe I can get something new or my next step from someone here.

Issue 1-Rough Idle:
I have gotten the P0014 code a couple times in the past and an oil change always made it go away and never had rough idle before. This last time I got the code I also had a rough idle. In addition to the standard suggestion of an oil change, it said the Exhaust Timing was over advanced in bank 1. I did the oil change but the rough idle is still there. I pulled and cleaned the Camshaft Actuator Solenoid and the middle screens were completely blocked and the screen did not slide around the shaft. Used carb cleaner, cleared the screens, and got em moving freely again. Re-installed thinking it would help but it didn't. As the truck idles in my garage I can here the exhaust missing or running roughly. My oil felt gritty but wasn't certain if it was already on my hands when I checked the oil out of the pan over my fingers. Thinking about draining some of the oil and checking again for any particles that could indicate the thrust bearing (which I'm praying it isn't).....Is there any way to test the Camshaft Actuator Solenoid or should I just buy one as my next step and see if that fixes it...?? Since the oil change a couple weeks ago I have not gotten any CEL....

Issue 2 Rough shifting:
In addition to the above, my TB is now shifting in the lower gears rough until it is fully warmed up and driven for a bit but it seems like the RPM's can run as high as 3k before shifting. Could this be related to the above or separate issue (thermostat issue causing CAT problem). The trans sometimes seems like it gets confused if I hit the gas, let off the gas and then hit the gas again....

I didn't have any issues other than some trans fluid coming out of the vent hose but feel it was due to overfilling. I took the temp of the trans pan with an inferred thermometer and the temp was 160-165 degrees which is in range for the trans. I had the motor mounts replaced prior to any issue but the mechanic cracked my actuator and a week later I had to have it replaced. After having that replaced is when more of the problems started. I hate to be paranoid but I have such a hard time not trusting mechanics and tricks they can pull to make a simple issue seem worse for a large repair bill but it is strange. All the new issues are now on the same side of the truck that the other issues were repaired.....????

Any additional thoughts or ideas other than whats posted here would be greatly appreciated.....

Regards,
Farmer John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok,
I'm lost with two issues. I've read through these forums and maybe I can get something new or my next step from someone here.

Issue 1-Rough Idle:
I have gotten the P0014 code a couple times in the past and an oil change always made it go away and never had rough idle before. This last time I got the code I also had a rough idle. In addition to the standard suggestion of an oil change, it said the Exhaust Timing was over advanced in bank 1. I did the oil change but the rough idle is still there. I pulled and cleaned the Camshaft Actuator Solenoid and the middle screens were completely blocked and the screen did not slide around the shaft. Used carb cleaner, cleared the screens, and got em moving freely again. Re-installed thinking it would help but it didn't. As the truck idles in my garage I can here the exhaust missing or running roughly. My oil felt gritty but wasn't certain if it was already on my hands when I checked the oil out of the pan over my fingers. Thinking about draining some of the oil and checking again for any particles that could indicate the thrust bearing (which I'm praying it isn't).....Is there any way to test the Camshaft Actuator Solenoid or should I just buy one as my next step and see if that fixes it...?? Since the oil change a couple weeks ago I have not gotten any CEL....

Issue 2 Rough shifting:
In addition to the above, my TB is now shifting in the lower gears rough until it is fully warmed up and driven for a bit but it seems like the RPM's can run as high as 3k before shifting. Could this be related to the above or separate issue (thermostat issue causing CAT problem). The trans sometimes seems like it gets confused if I hit the gas, let off the gas and then hit the gas again....

I didn't have any issues other than some trans fluid coming out of the vent hose but feel it was due to overfilling. I took the temp of the trans pan with an inferred thermometer and the temp was 160-165 degrees which is in range for the trans. I had the motor mounts replaced prior to any issue but the mechanic cracked my actuator and a week later I had to have it replaced. After having that replaced is when more of the problems started. I hate to be paranoid but I have such a hard time not trusting mechanics and tricks they can pull to make a simple issue seem worse for a large repair bill but it is strange. All the new issues are now on the same side of the truck that the other issues were repaired.....????

Any additional thoughts or ideas other than whats posted here would be greatly appreciated.....

Regards,
Farmer John
I have this same problem currently. Did you ever get this problem figured out??

1 - 2 of 2 Posts