Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning all. Quick question. Does the Rough Country 2" leveling kit require the control arm flip to give the upper ball joints more room to work? I'm trying to decide if this is a weekend project or a summer break one. I know this question has been asked a million times before AND I've searched the forums. I keep finding conflicting information.

It also says something about using a 16" tire. Stock on my 02 is 17". Is that going to cause an issue with the install? Can I do this and keep my 17's?

Kit pasted below for reference sake.

· Registered
63 Posts
Good morning all. Quick question. Does the Rough Country 2" leveling kit require the control arm flip to give the upper ball joints more room to work? I'm trying to decide if this is a weekend project or a summer break one. I know this question has been asked a million times before AND I've searched the forums. I keep finding conflicting information.

It also says something about using a 16" tire. Stock on my 02 is 17". Is that going to cause an issue with the install? Can I do this and keep my 17's?

Kit pasted below for reference sake.

Yes it does Mike, just did this about a month ago. Even flipped the angle isnt ideal, but its much better than the OEM position.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
33" A/T3Wildpeaks on some '95 k1500 wheels
I know my '86 K5 and '89 Isuzu Amigo 6-LUG wheels would interchange -- but they do NOT fit my '05 TB/EXT.

What wheels do you have on your car? VER-R-R-R-RY Interested!

FTR ---> those 6-lug rims fit every GM 4WD truck from as far back as 1955 Suburbans for the railroad companies - up to modern 4WD trucks too.

It's just that I have been lead to understand that the TB/Voys have their own 6-lug pattern, and nothing fits unless you add adapters.

Is that what you've done --- added adapters?

· Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you been able to use 4WD without issue to the CV axles? Any drivability problems? I'd like to level mine but am apprehensive due to conflicting information I keep reading.

· Registered
63 Posts
Have you been able to use 4WD without issue to the CV axles? Any drivability problems? I'd like to level mine but am apprehensive due to conflicting information I keep reading.
Ive been driving with the leveling kit for about a month (1.5k miles). 4WD works, used it a couple times in the last few weeks. I can steer lock to lock and move without hearing/feeling anything odd. It is defiantly a more aggressive angle, but even at full droop on jack stands the axle spins and feels fine.

I did replace a CV axle, but I'm pretty sure that was the ABS sensor wire that rubbed through the boot.

I cant say for certain that the lift wont shorten the lifespan of the axles, but I dont think its killing axles immediately either.

I'm very happy with the ground clearance I have now, I wont be sliding on boulders but camping in NH/Vermont is going to be more fun.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
There's a small boulder here ... named Brad ... who lives under the topsoil in my property. ...... (nothing personal, Brad_)

Whenever I need to dig a hole ... Brad hears the noise and he runs to right under where I'm digging to block my way.

I know it's Brad .... 'cause I can see the scars from my last encounter with him.

Brad is a bad boulder.

· Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not looking to go super high or take it off road. I'd like to level it for the aesthetics.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
I'm not looking to go super high or take it off road. I'd like to level it for the aesthetics.
I'll admit that I played with my height (the car's, not mine - but I'm accepting input on that too*) by returning the front struts to stock height with heavier capacity coils, new UCAs and replaced anything that moved, wiggled or twisted with Urethane where available, steel otherwise.

I jacked up the rear 2" with extended shox and spacers, anticipating towing ---- speaking of which I have dragged a 6000 lb trailer with firewood from outta the forest and home afterwards with no troubles. Well .... with a LITTLE apprehension ... mebbee.

As of yet, I have new front axles still to be installed - but I want to reseal the front diff first and give it a general look/see.

It's been rolling lame (2WD only - but High/Low works even without the front axles!) since I got it --- I've gotta keep this reinstallation IN my Bucket List!

* To All Readers ---> I am looking for an 25 to 35 year old skeleton as a replacement for the one I am currently using. Mine is worn out and needs serious interventions (neck, knees, hips, shoulder/rotators, spine, pelvis, etc) and collectively it would be far easier to just do the 100%-thing and stop the minor-but-very-painful smaller surgeries.
All information provided, will be, of course, confidential.​

· Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll admit that I played with my height (the car's, not mine - but I'm accepting input on that too*) by returning the front struts to stock height with heavier capacity coils, new UCAs and replaced anything that moved, wiggled or twisted with Urethane where available, steel otherwise.

I jacked up the rear 2" with extended shox and spacers, anticipating towing ---- speaking of which I have dragged a 6000 lb trailer with firewood from outta the forest and home afterwards with no troubles. Well .... with a LITTLE apprehension ... mebbee.

As of yet, I have new front axles still to be installed - but I want to reseal the front diff first and give it a general look/see.

It's been rolling lame (2WD only - but High/Low works even without the front axles!) since I got it --- I've gotta keep this reinstallation IN my Bucket List!

* To All Readers ---> I am looking for an 25 to 35 year old skeleton as a replacement for the one I am currently using. Mine is worn out and needs serious interventions (neck, knees, hips, shoulder/rotators, spine, pelvis, etc) and collectively it would be far easier to just do the 100%-thing and stop the minor-but-very-painful smaller surgeries.
All information provided, will be, of course, confidential.​

Did you know that if you took every bone from 1 human being you would have enough bones to make a full sized skeleton?

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
Did you know that if you took every bone from 1 human being you would have enough bones to make a full sized skeleton?
Doh!

Are you suggesting that I "volunteer" a bunch of strangers of the 25-35 year old category --- and remove only one bone from each of them?

That sounds cool!

I think I'll wander up to Missoula and visit the UM Campus. Great idea! Thanks!

· Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doh!

Are you suggesting that I "volunteer" a bunch of strangers of the 25-35 year old category --- and remove only one bone from each of them?

That sounds cool!

I think I'll wander up to Missoula and visit the UM Campus. Great idea! Thanks!
You're going to need about 206 "volunteers" to get that done.

· Premium Member
'05 TB 4.2 EXT
6,192 Posts
You're going to need about 206 "volunteers" to get that done.
Hey ... it's a college campus ... who cares? A student with a missing bone here-n-there doesn't raise red flags as fast as:

"Student Found, Missing Skeleton: Slithering To Class With No Visible Means of Support" .... news at 10.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts