Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 08 SS suddenly developed a very rough, bumpy ride on a smooth highway. Took it to tire shop and he said the front shocks were bottoming out, looked like previous owner had it lowered and installed wrong shocks and he would order the right ones. Two days later, ride has smoothed out like nothing happened, tire guy said to watch it, he had the right shocks and would install them if problem comes back. What happened and should I just let him install the new shocks and hope it doesn't happen again?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Inside common shocks is a stack of variable diameter and thickness washers that flex as you depress or extend the shock absorber.

They act like reeds, kinda ... and they move to block or allow fluid in the shock reservoir to flow past them or not.

They're not very glamorous - just a stack of discs.. like I said.

They will occasionally break one off because of heavy abuse or just normal flexing cycles. Everything - including metal --- can take only so many flexures before it goes past it's modulus and dies.

What MAY have happened is that one of those discs gave up and died and either plugged a passageway - or opened one up -- but my crystal ball is broken.

Any time a shock absorber malfunctions - it's talking to you. It may have already died and somewhere inside the oil in it - is pieces of that disc or shards of metal.

I'd get a new pair - since we cannot look through the sides of the strut to see what's going on - but really --- what is the job of a shock absorber?

It ABSORBS SHOCKS - like it's name says ---> anything else is not in it's design - especially not becoming stiff and then soft again --- see?

Something's changed/broken/changing and you will eventually find it has destroyed some other part to which it is critical.

There are NO ZEBRAS here - just plain ol' horses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts