Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 03 Envoy with 70000 miles. We've started noticing a few things:

1. On initial engine start-up, the fan rattles lightly (the noise goes away as the car moves beyond 15 mph). Once the engine's warmed up, the rattling seems to be gone even at idle.

2. On light acceleration from a standing start, the engine seems to run a little rough. Once you get up above 25 mph or so, it sounds completely normal.

I'm going to see if I can replace the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor today (they're due), but I was wondering if these issues might be symptomatic of something else (e.g., low differential fluid? dirty throttle body?, etc.)

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
I guess you have a lot of reading to do about your Envoy. This site will provide you with all the insight you need. Begin using the search button for every topic, it has all been discussed.

The Envoy does not have a distributor or rotor. It has a coil over plug set up. For plugs, stick with either AC Delco or NGK, do not gap them, just put them in. The differential should not cause your issue, but changing the fluid in both, as well as the transfer case is recommended. Read about the fan clutch issue and the throttle body cleaning. Enjoy!!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I'm going to see if I can replace the ... distributor cap and rotor today ...
Good luck with that...:D

We don't have them. Nor plug wires.(on the I6)

And check the Owner's Manual. Plugs aren't really due until 100K, although many members change them earlier. Are you getting advice on what to change and when from somebody other than trailvoy? :confused:

Anyway, the fan clutch may be in the process of dying inside. Very high failure rate item until the redesign in 2005.

If you've never cleaned the throttle body, it's the #1 thing you can do to improve idle stability and initial acceleration.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=91

You should check diff fluid levels now, but unless you're leaking, they should be fine. Also service the transfer case (if you're 4x4) at 50K per the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks very much for the quick replies, guys. I'm relatively new to this forum (signed up a while ago, but have hardly spent any time here before this weekend). Seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable members here. Since the the car just came off warranty recently, I'll be doing as much of the maintainance as I can going forward.

Thanks for confirming that our Envoys don't have distributor caps/rotors. Doh! :duh: Still getting familiar with the mechanics. Also thanks for the great advice on maintenance items:

- I just picked up some throttle body cleaner, and will be doing that this afternoon.

- The manual says the spark plugs don't need to be changed until 100K, but I also read on this forum that many people change them out well before that.

- Servicing the axles and diff will definitely be a project for next weekend. The coolant is also due to be replaced

- Sigh...I thought in the back of my mind that the fan clutch might be starting to go. I guess I'll have to change it out soon. Maybe I can wait until the engine starts sounding like an airplane. ;)

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts