Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah so want to take rack off. should i pull all the nutserts out and hammer the roof flat again? then pop in some push pin things in with some silicone?

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
It's easier to just fill them with silicon and be done with it.....unless you want to ripple your roof and then you'll have to repaint it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
115 Posts
I used set screws with Teflon tape to keep out water...Nothing sticks above the "nutsert" thingy nabober

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
314 Posts
nutserts hahaha so funny cant stop laughing. I love new made up words.:dielaugh:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think Nutsert really is a word :undecided

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,294 Posts
According to Webster's Edition 6,124,654.395 on page 1,699 the 18th word down nutsert-see nutshurt

nutshurt-adj. a painful experience one can get when the wife kicks you in the groin for too many mods. If your nutshurt please spend more time giving your wife attention.

:crackup:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
314 Posts
well if it is a word then great. first time hearing it for me still funny.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,294 Posts
are they easy to remove? My plastic christmas trees stick up just a fuzz and I would love them to be flat.
OMG that is funny. Do not remove just because your nutshurt. I am sorry its plastic but it should stick up some. If you want it to be flat you should see a doctor....sorry....

:hijacked

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
307 Posts
I am taking off my roof rack tomorrow and I bought stainless button top bolts that are the same size head as the old screws. These are low profile and use a hex key to install. Should give a nice clean look even if I do not paint.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
232 Posts
I am taking off my roof rack tomorrow and I bought stainless button top bolts that are the same size head as the old screws. These are low profile and use a hex key to install. Should give a nice clean look even if I do not paint.
Where did you find these? I wanna do the same. Looking for something a little more low profile then the DIY on here. any pix or place where you bought these?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Wait till he finds out there's such a thing as a sex bolt too, I can just hear the girlish tee-heeing now! :raspberry

·
Registered
307 Posts
Any of the larger Ace hardware stores should have them, or for that matter, any hardware store that has an extensive nut and bolt selection. I plan on using them with a stainless flat washer as the bolt head is slightly smaller than the original and the washer is close to the size of the nutsert (there's that word again!). :laugh: I will try and get pictures when done.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The problem with the plastic trees is that with the temps you get on the roof (especially in the summer/hot area/dark vehicle), they do not last very long before becoming brittle (can you say leak?). It gets worse when they get so hot and then get hit with cold water when you wash the vehicle. If you are dead set on using the trees, use a set screw first and set it deep in the hole with sealer and then put the tree in on top.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The plastic trees stick out higher than the nutsert...isnt the point to make it less visible? I just put the set screw in and you can barely see the nutsert..in a few days here im gonna paint the nutsert the color of the truck you wont see it at all

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
293 Posts
The plastic trees stick out higher than the nutsert...isnt the point to make it less visible? I just put the set screw in and you can barely see the nutsert..in a few days here im gonna paint the nutsert the color of the truck you wont see it at all
The trees i have are like a umbrella they basically round over the height of the nutsert....

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
713 Posts
i just replaced the screws that came out of the rack, but I know I've been trying to figure out a way to remove the nutserts entirely. I have the christmas trees, but havent used any yet because i'd rather take a hit for 7 dollars and find a way to make the holes/studs entirely invisible from the profile...

so is there any way to do this aside from grinding/cutting and the refinishing and painting to match? i'd rather find a way to cut them fairly level and then use something like the christmas tree caps to leave them pretty flush with the roof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts