Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got a guy interested in producing rock sliders for the TrailBlazer. Today we did a test fitment + measuring session for the frame connectors.

So, as a teaser, I figured I'd post up some pictures from this morning.

It's along the same lines as some of the other sliders I have seen, but Eric (pictured below) wanted to have some fun with it. So I let his imagination run. He came up with the tapered ends that fit the body lines of the truck perfectly. So far it's tacked together, as Eric wanted to make sure fitment was correct.

Another view of the tapered end:

While I was there, we measured up and tacked in the frame connectors. There will be 3 on Eric's design.

So, Eric's going to finish welding it tonight and grind them down all pretty. Then it will be in the hands of the powdercoater. After that, I'll just have to drive down after work and get them welded in. :woot:

Eric hasn't set a price yet, and the powdercoating will be an extra 150-200. Once I know a price, I'll let you all know. He also said he would do free installation for anyone that would drive to his shop near DC. I will say, Eric is a genuinely nice guy and will go out of his way for you. So I hope he is able to make some future sales from our group.

I'll be sure to include lots of pictures and the cost of the final product once they are installed. :woohoo: Gosh I can't wait!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You're leaving the rocker panel plastic cover on? I ripped mine off, and it no longer has that same line to match. I think there's a bit more ground clearance to be had. But that's just me. I give very little thought to the artistic value, which your sliders have a bunch of. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We actually looked at that as an option. We found the only place where the rocker was keeping us from mounting higher was the front and rear flares. So by bending out at those points, we have it mounted as high as it would be without the rocker panels (we were limited by the body weld seam behind the rocker) The envoy rockers may also hang down lower than the TB rockers, in which case, you probably did gain clearance by tearing yours off. Plus, by keeping them in place, I don't have to worry about the door seals and body holes getting clogged with mud.

But to conclude, we didn't feel that we would gain any clearance by removing the plastic.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
look pretty good james. can't wait to see finished product :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I am on-board pending price.

They look good.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
So even though I'm not usually into all the offroad stuff, I have to say those look pretty sweet! But it'll be a set of running boards for my SS instead. I'm always glad to see more aftermarket parts for our trucks!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,401 Posts
I'm impressed James.. You must have had quite the tax return this year. I may be required to get sliders fabbed up. My girlfriend may need a little "step" getting into the truck. Especially when I put the wheel adaptors on and bigger tires (further down the road) perhaps I should say down the trail.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm impressed James.. You must have had quite the tax return this year. I may be required to get sliders fabbed up. My girlfriend may need a little "step" getting into the truck. Especially when I put the wheel adaptors on and bigger tires (further down the road) perhaps I should say down the trail.
Hah, yeah the tax return helped some, but I think the price is pretty reasonable for custom made stuff. It looks like the cost will be on par with heavy duty sliders for other, similar vehicles. But as I said before, the exact cost has not been set (I'm trying to talk him into some sort of an initial group buy, you know, to spark some interest :D).

I keep telling the fiancee that it's going to be there to help her get in. But I'm not sure how much it will actually help. :x

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
Those look sweet James. :thumbsup:
I have been thinking of fabbing some up for my tb since i have a pipe bender and i have a welder which i am good at, especially since the fiance says it would be nice to have something to step on, since i took off the running boards. :undecided

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
98 Posts
Very nice those RS look the bomb :tiphat. At what angle will these be comming of at, wondering if diamond plate can be tacked on too double as RB's. Think that may be the ticket for me ;)

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice those RS look the bomb :tiphat. At what angle will these be comming of at, wondering if diamond plate can be tacked on too double as RB's. Think that may be the ticket for me ;)
I'm not sure what RBs are... but diamond plate doesn't sound like a good idea. It would be like putting sandpaper under your couch's feet when trying to slide it across the floor.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
hey they do come in handy when suck in a mud pit and you need to get out...

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
98 Posts
Like a running board rock slide conversion. Can it be done? JD no put the dimonplate to the top side :crackup: Think it would be doable mabey with spacers to level it? :D

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like a running board rock slide conversion. Can it be done?
Well, they are not flat. They kick up at like a 30 degree angle to improve your clearance. I'll prob just stick some grip tape on the top of the outer bar and call it done.

As of now, the sliders are at the powdercoater. They're slated for final install Monday evening.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts