Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2002 Gmc Envoy that makes a roaring sound when i drive and it gets louder as i ride the freeway.It is coming from the rear of the vehicle.I thought it was my brakes rubbing and i had all the brakes replaced front and back,i have also had my rear bearings checked and that's not it as well.I was told it had something to do with my emergency brakes (parking brake) they are now off and i still hear this rubbing it sounds really loud but no one can figure out what it is.any suggestions?It really puts you in the mindframe of bearings(the sound).something is rubbing:weird:

Also i know it is coming from the rear because we hitched the truck up and just let the back wheels spin and you can hear the noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,the guy lubed all back there yesterday,still the noise.If the rear differential is towards the back of the car but in the middle that has oil in it.(you would need to remove the screw in order to pull the whole axle out to check the bearings so i was told) I found out about that part because afterwards it was a leak and i was told the screw wasnt replaced or not on tight. I am so confused about this.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The emergency brakes are in a drum built into the rear rotors. The mechanic has to pull the rotors to look at them. There are reports of the ebrake shoes breaking and then the pieces roll around in there and make noises.

Do your ebrakes work OK? If you pull the lever up a bit while driving along, does the noise change?

You say nobody can figure out the noise? What sort of talent have you had looking at it? Professional mechanics? Jiffylube monkeys? If somebody said it might have something to do with the emergency brakes, did they pull the rotors off and confirm that guess, or did they want to charge you money to look so you stopped them before they had the chance?

At the worst, it could be a dislodged c-clip holding the axle into the differential, and the brake caliper is now rubbing on the rotor. That should be instantly obvious to a professional mechanic.

An Internet forum where we can't touch and listen to the vehicle can't possibly be any better at guessing than a random person you pass onthe street. We can guess at a list of 20 things it could be, but at the end of the day if you're not a DIY kind of person, you're still going to have to use a local mechanic to get it fixed. If your mechanics so far have proven incompetent, get recommendations from more local friends and get a good one. They're out there, they just don't work at Jiffylube, or wherever they didn't reinstall your differential drain plug properly.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...now i can't find one....
Sorry to hear. :sadcry:Where are you looking, Costco? :nono:

First, you need to know your gear ratio. Go in your glove box, and on the sticker is one of these three codes:

3.42 ratio GU6
3.73 ratio GT4
4.10 ratio GT5

Your zip code is 44122

Go to www.car-parts.com. Enter 2002 Chevy Trailblazer as the vehicle, 44122 as the zip code, REAR AXLE (RWD) as the part, sort by distance, and enter your gear ratio.

Within 50 miles, you have a UNIVERSE of axles from the recyclers - from $300 with high mileage to $1100 advertised as NEW. Dozens in the most popular 3.42 ratio.

What makes you think there aren't any?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,i got it. 3.42 ratio and i found one for $450.That was the cheapest. I guess i am glad to know what the noise is but hate that it is going to cost so much to repair.Also i needed a front wheel bearing but didn't know cause the noise was so loud from the back it tuned out the front noise.Headache!!! I am looking into shops now to get it repaired.The reason i thought it would be hard to find was the look on the mechanic's face when he told me the news.I thought it was bad because he didn't charge me for telling me what was wrong with the car after having it all day.when he originally quoted me a price of $40 to road test it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.