Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 02 Envoy is excerated from full stop and the acceleration is into a turn we can hear and feel a roaring/grinding sound from 0 to about 15 mph and then it stops, (after shifting), this is repeatable and is more noticable when the vehicle is at full operating temperature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When my 02 Envoy is excerated from full stop and the acceleration is into a turn we can hear and feel a roaring/grinding sound from 0 to about 15 mph and then it stops, (after shifting), this is repeatable and is more noticable when the vehicle is at full operating temperature.
Does anyone know what might be the cause?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
A roar and a grind are two different things, can you narrow it down? Is the noise coming from the front, rear, left, right or through the floorboards(bottom of your feet)? What color is the trans fluid and has it been changed and if so how many miles ago. Is the noise louder on right or left turns? Have you checked the u-joints? Does the noise happen when backing up and turning? If you start in second and turn is the noise still there?(lock out first) Has the diff. oil been changed, front and rear? 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? Please fill out the questionaire so we know the vehicle.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
Find out if the noise is worse when Turning.. If you turn the opposite way does it go away.. Sounds like a wheel Bearing/Hub going bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an 02 Envoy 4x4 with 44,000 mi. Sounds like it's coming from under the floor forward of the driver. Fluid changed @ 35,000 mi. During a straight acceleration, (from full stop) I can't notice it. Very noticable if starting turn from dead stop. Haven't tried 4x4 of 1st gear lock-out, or in reverse.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It's an 02 Envoy 4x4 with 44,000 mi. Sounds like it's coming from under the floor forward of the driver. Fluid changed @ 35,000 mi. During a straight acceleration, (from full stop) I can't notice it. Very noticable if starting turn from dead stop. Haven't tried 4x4 of 1st gear lock-out, or in reverse.
NO DO NOT PUT IT IN 4X4 ON A HARD SERFACE AND TURN. Damage can and will do bad things to the front drive line. I asked because of extra items in the front end. Could be the CV joint on the drivers side but they usually click not grind. Have you looked at the boot and is it torn?
Starting in second is simply puting the gearshift in #2 to start and that locks your trans. out of first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I don't use 4 wheel on dry pavement, and selecting 2nd on a GM does not lock-out 1st, Fords do that. The frequency noted appears to be in concert with drive train rpm...increases with acceleration. I haven't looked at the CV joints (I guess I should), but it's odd it does this when hot and in a turn from a stop. That is the only time it's noticable. I was hoping this was a relatively common problem. Thanks for your response!!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
When I put mine in second it starts in second. If I start out in third it will start in 1 then shift to 2 and then shift to 3rd. But when you put it in second it is designed to start in second and stay in second as not to slip on ice or snow.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
selecting 2nd on a GM does not lock-out 1st, Fords do that.
:iagree: with Robert
That used to be true, but is not any longer. Go try it. The transmissions in these vehicles will start in second if the gear shift is in "2".
This has been discussed here many times before.

My guess is your wheel bearings are going bad. This is fairly common problem on these vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be a wheel bearing but it just doesn't sound or feel like it. High speed operation and tire wear are normal, no unusual feel or sound. Like I said it's only noticable from a dead start turn? I will say it seems worst in a left turn as opposed to a right...go figure.:coffee

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this same problem on my 2008 TB. Already replaced wheelbearings on L and R. No change. This was repiared with after market warrenty. So it did not coast an arm and a leg but grinding and vibration still there. Machanic can not get it to do it.any help out there

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem sounds like it coming from the rear by the muffler and only happens when I'm accelerating not when I'm turning

1 - 13 of 13 Posts