Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmmmm, hours later than we figured, so the last pics are in the dark and relatively lame, the world's first Envoy with rock sliders is now driving around. Well, there might be another, but *I* don't know about it. :D

Primer will happen quickly. Herculiner will probably have to wait until after I get back from the Sierras in two weeks.

Material: 2" 0.25" wall square tubing. 1.5" 0.125" wall round tubing. Custom fabbed by Dallas Nunn of Stinkyfab - http://www.stinkyfab.com/

Daylight pics in the morning.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I wanna see 'em in action Roadie! :D

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Very nice roadie!!

Did you have to drill your own holes in the frame, or are there holes there? Im thinking you had to drill them, but not sure.

Also, did you have to mod any part of the frame/body/etc to get clearance for them?

They look awesome, now you can slid your Voy on some rocks!!

BTW, nice scratch in the last pic. Maybe some detailing later on???

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Did you have to drill your own holes in the frame, or are there holes there? Im thinking you had to drill them, but not sure.
Nope. I'm fully committed. They're welded on. The flanges Dallas used were pre-drilled as an option for bolting, but they're a lot stronger welded. I'm going to use the HiLift jack tomorrow to lift the truck by the slider and measure the deflection. I figure 1/4". Faster to rotate tires when you can get a side up in the air instead of just one tire. :yes: :eek:
Also, did you have to mod any part of the frame/body/etc to get clearance for them?
Nope. Took off the plastic rocker panel protectors last Spring. No sheet metal mods.
They look awesome, now you can slid your Voy on some rocks!! BTW, nice scratch in the last pic. Maybe some detailing later on???
That's a surface scratch from some brush on a narrow trail. I tried buffing on other scratches, and it's mostly sap deposits, not into the paint. Got to spend an hour someday.

I wanna see 'em in action Roadie! :D
Gotta wait until Borrego cools off in 4-6 weeks to go to the desert. Going to Sequoia National forest and King's Canyon on Friday for a week. Still not ready for the Rubicon. Looking to ride shotgun sometime in the desert?

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
Whats the likely hood of that slider getting forced up into the sheet metal? I know it looks really strong with the way its welded, just wondering how much force is too much? I assume it will easily take the weight of the vehicle, but will it take getting the wieght of the vehicle slammed on to it? Does that make sense? Its awefully late here.:D

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
6,943 Posts
Nice Running Boards:p ....just kidding, very cool, now lets see em in action!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2,903 Posts
Nice Running Boards:p ....just kidding, very cool, now lets see em in action!
Yeah... they look a lot like nerf bars to me. :raspberry

roadie = "they're not nerf bars!" :hissy:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Whats the likely hood of that slider getting forced up into the sheet metal?...but will it take getting the wieght of the vehicle slammed on to it?
Excellent question, and one I researched a lot. Dallas uses the same design on full-size Broncos. I've seen as many as four support bars on some bolted-on sliders on H2s. But if you drive as I do, pretty deliberately, trying to pick the best line within an inch or two, I shouldn't be slamming down. You can drive down the far side of a rock in a controlled way.

And if the entire bar gets bent up into the sheet metal, it's done its job and sacrificed itself to protect the rockers and door panels. At least it would touch in a lot of places at once and spread the impact instead of leaving an impression of the rock in the vehicle. :p

On the Coyote Canyon trail, I'd use them more for a sideways force, to pivot around a tall rock.

Now to replace the composite toy skid plates with real metal to protect the gas tank and transfer case. ;)

Yeah... they look a lot like nerf bars to me. :raspberry
Hehe. Finally found a good comeback to the Weiner Dog raspberry, I see. :D
Har. Nerf bars aren't made with 0.25" wall tubing welded to the frame you can jack the car up with. ;)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
:rotfl:

Awesome work dude!! those look sweet. All you need now is a video of them in action :D

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2,903 Posts
Finally found a good comeback to the Weiner Dog raspberry, I see. :D

Nerf bars aren't made with 0.25" wall tubing welded to the frame you can jack the car up with. ;)
Yes, I'm jealous. I'll admit it. I need a better job so I can buy the sliders and BDS kit. :undecided

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Daylight pics:

Normal clearance to sheet metal = 1/2"
Jacking up to take weight off both wheels - deflection = 1/4"
Not a worry so far. Rubbed WD40 on 'em to slow down the rust while I get to the finishing. The shimming I had to do on the floor jack shows how much a HiLift jack is necessary for lifted vehicles. But I also have a nice place to stand now to get to the roof rack and wash the windshield. :woohoo:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Awesome job roadie, I must say I like the look of those. In my opinion I think you just made the next stage running boards for the TV's :yes: If they were powder coated or painted to match you'ld have a winner :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
how much did those bad boys run you? I likey. I have a pro welder in my neighborhood so do you think he would be able to weld me up somehing likethat? what are the specs as far as diameter and guaging... I will most likely rhino them if i can get some pretty cheap...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
well ya see, you get a few 2x4's and some duct tape lol....
cut the 2x4's into some squares, wedge them in the springs and duct tape them into place :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts