Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPS just delivered an Ebay purchase - a PullPal 9000 pound rated winch anchor. Pull Pal doesn't even make the 9000 lb. model anymore, but it matches my winch rating. 11,000 lb. units go for over $300 new - this one was under half the price, but has a bit of rust. Previous owner mounted it outside, but never used it. Since I often disregard good advice to always wheel with a buddy, I sometimes abandon trails where there's no good winch points (trees, rocks) in case of stuckage. Since the only time I got stuck good and hard was in slick mud, without anyone to help (until somebody amazingly came by), this is a good thing to carry besides the winch.

Now I don't have to think about burying the spare to serve as a winch point. More pics later after I get it mounted on the roof rack.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ghoster said:
Gonna sand it and paint it?:D
Considering black powdercoat, since a good insurance policy never needs to get used. We just got a small sandblaster at work that can get rid of the rust. Odd hobby shop we have for a tiny electronics company. Whatever the president wants for a toy he gets. :laugh:

But I certainly have to test it first, like on some 45 degree hill as in my current avatar. Should be able to pull myself up a 70 degree hill as a test. Actually, a 9000 pound winch and Optima battery should be able to manage a vertical pull, except for a tiny problem of fluids leaking out of every other place on the Envoy. :hissy:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HOTRODSURFER said:
looks like you have all the off road goodies:hail:
:rotfl: Nah.......just one more checked off of a very long list. :yes:

Anybody who declares themselves done with mods or toys, and finished with a project, has just declared themselves dead. Watch this space. Better mods are yet to come. See the .sig :cool:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
the roadie said:
Anybody who declares themselves done with mods or toys, and finished with a project, has just declared themselves dead.
:thumbsup: :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mada123 said:

Hello, Roadie's Roadside Assistance. How may I help you today?
Hehe. That's Roadie's OffRoad Assistance. How may I help you today?

Brings up a story about a co-worker with an unworthy 2WD pickup who got stuck in sand on Christmas Eve, 2 miles off the pavement in the desert. Was going hiking up a canyon for a couple of days, so he didn't mind leaving the truck, doing his backpacking, then seeing if he could get a pull later. No recovery equipment AT ALL. He brings new meaning to the concept of unprepared.

An hour later, just as he's about to leave the truck stuck, a pretty divorcee comes by with a semi-worthy 4X4 truck, an unsuitable tow strap with the hooks on the ends that you're not supposed to use for recovery, and a couple of protection dogs. She's going up the SAME canyon for the SAME couple of days wilderness hiking over Christmas and she doesn't normally hike with companions. But she trusts this guy, my co-worker, because he's such a helpless goof, and tugs him back to harder ground.

Then they hike together into the wilderness, kindred souls, and that's their first date. Sweet. We all made jokes like it was something out of Penthouse Letters, but he assures us it was just a friendly hike with two separate tents.

So there *is* a market in the desert for people to drive around looking for stuck folks to help.

·
Registered
chevy other
1,890 Posts
the roadie said:
:rotfl: Nah.......just one more checked off of a very long list. :yes:

Anybody who declares themselves done with mods or toys, and finished with a project, has just declared themselves dead. Watch this space. Better mods are yet to come. See the .sig :cool:
:iagree:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
176 Posts
the roadie said:
So there *is* a market in the desert for people to drive around looking for stuck folks to help.
One of our Plumbers has a Jeep that's Built out that the Police and sheriff's office call when people get stuck in the river. He makes about 500 Bucks a call to go cruise up river and pull people out. He say's it's helped him with part of the cost of his mod's.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts