Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving my 20 inch rims on during the winter. with all the salt and sand will it scratch or mess my rims up. I pretty much clean them every week, but when it snows i don't clean them until everything is all dried up.

·
Registered
458 Posts
wax them, it really won't ruin them unless its a bad winter, it kinda dulls the finish.

Just put a coat of wax on them after you wash them, thatll help protect them.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
714 Posts
I can tell you this much. my tb has just rolled 20K and its almost hitting the two year mark, all 4 off my wheels clear coat is peeling pretty bad, and I think I take care of it relitivly well. Granted we get some salt but normally I wash the truck with in a week after the snow fall.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, usually after snow storms i wash my car to get all the salt and sand off of it, and also usually after rain storms ill clean my rims off to get all the dirt off.

now i use windex to clean my rims, should i be cleaning them with other things?

and i have black rims with the chrome lip, will the snow, sand or salt ruin the chrome if i were to clean them right away

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
61 Posts
If you wax the lip with a nice thick paste or a wax like zymol you should be o.k. But make sure that when you clean them you rinse as much of the dirt and sh*t off as you can before you use a brush or sponge because the chrome can scratch easily.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
this is how i see it...you paid $xxxx.xx for your rims...you want them to look nice while cruisin the jersey shore in the summer time [well thats me anyways] not drivin to the grocery store in 4" of snow and 3" of slush/rocksalt mix in dec...if you have another set of tires (stock chevy that you took off) it wouldnt hurt to change them bak for 3 months in winter_many people have mixed emotions about the efect of rocksalt/calcium from the roads on the finsih...jersey goes rocksalt crazy and iv noticed slight pits/chipps....on my dads cadillac he had vogue rims and nvr took them off ever...the chrome was just peelin away from the center and edges like tape off a wall:duh: i change to my stock chevy ones in the winter just to take the precaution..if you dont have the stockers/another set im not tryin to be rude here but yu kno as well as i do that aallloootttaaa money went into the purchase of those shoes and just as much goes into keepin em clean, it wouldnt hurt to keep them safe for 3 months, plus it brings new excitment to the spring wen you put them bak on...idkk thats my :m2::woohoo:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,082 Posts
I guess if you clean them alot you can get away with it. I take my 20s off for the winter and run snow n ice tires in the winter with stock wheels. I get better traction, I can run a good performance tire in summer and dont have to worry about the wheels. Just can't wait till spring to get here.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
6,943 Posts
It's not only a matter of keeping them in good shape, but in terms of driving, you're not running the best of tire. Way too wide if there's any kind of precipitation on the road, and if it's cold out, you don't have the tread of a good winter tire.

Even if you put the stockers back on, you're playing it a ton safer. Not only for you, but those around you.:m2:

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
I also take off my rims/tires in the winter. I have a set of good black steel wheels with Toyo snows, great traction in the winter. I believe the salt affects the finish on the clearcoat rims, especially on mild days when its really slushy and wet. I noticed on other vehicles it usually starts near the valve stem or balancing weight(which looks stupid on the outside of the rim), or near most edges. Waxing will help. I've heard some people coat thier rims with grease to protect from the salt.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all this advise,

Well i do have the stock tires and wheels, inwhich i planed on selling on craigs list to make some extra bucks. I did get a few calls on it, but no one went through with it. and i decided that i will keep the tires and rims so when i go sell the truck i can make it look like the stock one.

im lookin at a month and a half till march, i figure there's no point taking them off now because theres only about 6 weeks till hopefully mild weather. I do plan on changing my stock tires next winter.

I just cleaned off my rims today, and noticed a big scrape mark on the lip of one of my rims :(. I don't remember making that mark because i have scatched a few of my rims over the summer :( lol

I don't see any marks or anytihng effecting the clear coat or the lip, so hopefully it stays the same till winter blows by, and by next year i'll be smart and change my rims over!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts