Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed and replaced the right cv axle seal outside the differential? Is the removal procedure for the right cv axle seal the same as that for the left (driver side) seal? Can you just pull the seal from the outside after removing the axle?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
104 Posts
Yep (y)Pop The CV Axle Shaft and Remove the Seal w/ seal removal tool or Slide Hammer/seal hook. Install Seal With Socket , Lube Seals w/multi purpose Grease. Reverse Removal. Check Differential Fluid or Drain prior and Refill.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If You Meant the Inner Seals # 18 # 20 The #18 Seal is Backside Of The Actuator and #20 is in the Case

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your quick response. Yes, I was referring to the outside seal. I have already removed the brake caliper, rotor, upper ball joint, and cv axle. I will now pull the seal and check the bearings. I just wanted to make sure I did not have to remove the disconnect housing to remove the seal. The seal is #1 in your diagram. GM part#12479302 for right (passenger side)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,137 Posts
I will add my 2 cents to this....

If that disconnect has not been removed, cleaned and regreased and has a lot of miles on it I would strongly suggest you do that having gone this far. The factory grease in these things does not last forever.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As TJBaker Suggests (y) Just Inspect the Bearing for Wear or Damage. Better to check now than do it twice. :rolleyes: Why No Zerk Fitting. Engineers (n)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
This is what the grease inside the unit looked like on mine with 150xxx miles on it. At this point I replaced the entire unit due to some internal gear wear.

1416085035024.jpg
1416166247311.jpg

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I am currently rebuilding one of these for swapping into my '02 and I plan on adding a grease fitting and possibly a relief as well between the two bearings in the outer housing.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The twisted and broken thrust washer seen in the picture a few posts above is the one between the two drive gears. When the grease dried out the thrust washer wore down to be thin enough to fall out of place and blocked the shift fork from moving at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep Great advice to any gear or moving part that should get a Zerk (y) After seeing yours i will do mine. 95,xxx on the Odo probably about due.
I use a Pellet Stove for heating and added a zerk fitting to the Auger Motor after cleaning the gear case. Original since 11 / 2005
Lawn Tractor cutting blade Spindles same treatment removed inner sealed bearing seals so grease reaches them.
Same Concept for anything that would receive wear.
Oem Engineering be Damned :p

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Good sources those two. I also like....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Adding grease fitting is an excellent idea! I'm going to be in there this summer so that is now on my list!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the advice on the front axle disconnect assembly. I will remove, inspect, clean and grease the assembly. By the way, great pictures and diagram Grinder.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts