Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_slt
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that I was collecting water inside my reverse lights (both sides), has anybody else have the same issue. I did remove them, drained the water and let’s see what happens. I am not sure if it is the "rubber gasket" or a serious case of condensation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
I think it has to be a very common problem. The lights are mounted behind the tires WTH, where did gm think the water was going to go.
I've changed mine a number of times. I now have the socket sealed to the light assembly, seems to work.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
7 Posts
Solution?

I know this is an old post but I am having the same problem. Michigan slush is filling lights on a regular basis and shorting them out. What did you do to seal them but not permanently? Thought of taking them out and drilling a couple drain holes.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
Just a suggestion would be to use a good bead of silicone. Should keep the water out but can be removed fairly easily to change the bulbs.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
564 Posts
this is a very common problem on the envoy. horrible design IMO, but the lights went out on me at about 5,000 miles on my rig. the socket got rusted on both, so i had to replace the light and the socket.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
This is what I did. LED tractor trailer lights.[/QUOTE said:
Thats a cool idea..you can also do what i did and just swap them out for a set of oem foglights.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
164 Posts
I thought about doing that but i wanted the led look for the light the cool blue color and the fog lights were a little bit more expensive than these. The mounts, lights, connectors were all about 70 shipped. I may go back later and put the fog lights in. How is the beam pattern? I was wanting more of a flood light and was afraid that the fog light would be to flat.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
I thought about doing that but i wanted the led look for the light the cool blue color and the fog lights were a little bit more expensive than these. The mounts, lights, connectors were all about 70 shipped. I may go back later and put the fog lights in. How is the beam pattern? I was wanting more of a flood light and was afraid that the fog light would be to flat.
not sure how to describe the light pattern but i know at night when i back out of my driveway at night it pisses the nieghbors across the street off,,it lights up the whole front of their house lol...i actually did the conversion to be able to see while backing up with my tinted windows......it helped alot!

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_slt
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did find the solution, all what I ended up doing was once I removed the lights, cleaned them up, I put a layer of “pipe dope” around the housing that seats between the light socket and the light housing. The reason I used “pipe dope”, my theory if it can leak this will solve it” I have run all winter and no more issues with the water. To confirm my theory I even removed the light socket, no problem, still came a part without any issues. Give it a try, you may be surprised, besides I like the smell of “pipe dope” lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts