Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im looking for a product to restore the plastic black trim on my envoy?
any recommendation? :confused:

thoughts on "Back to Black", "showroom","black wow".

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Lots of discussion, on the topic, in the past. Try a search, you should find a lot of threads.

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
Yep lots. I've heard good things about using a heat gun to restore it permanently. Youtube has some videos of this. The Back to Black and 303 types of products are short lived before you need to redo it.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
If you're talking about the black plastic and not rubber, for example the step plate on the bumper or rear glass handle, most of the 'treatments' only cover them up temporarily. (I've tried several and unless you really work them in, the effect washes right off). What seems to have some lasting effect is to get a good nylon/polyester covered sponge or fairly stiff bristled brush and scrub the heck out of them.....the lightening on those textured plastic parts is more deposits than fading. Once or twice a year I simply scrub the heck out of them using a good auto wash & water mix, which removes all the film making them appear faded. - I was shocked to say the least that its deposits and not fading. It takes some elbow grease, but those black plastic parts will again appear black or at least charcoal in color. You can then follow up with a light coat of your favorite detailing plastic protectant.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Ok, if we are gonna run with yet one more thread on the topic, :x

I have tried tire cleaner foam and it works very well.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
299 Posts
If you're talking about the black plastic and not rubber, for example the step plate on the bumper or rear glass handle, most of the 'treatments' only cover them up temporarily. (I've tried several and unless you really work them in, the effect washes right off). What seems to have some lasting effect is to get a good nylon/polyester covered sponge or fairly stiff bristled brush and scrub the heck out of them.....the lightening on those textured plastic parts is more deposits than fading. Once or twice a year I simply scrub the heck out of them using a good auto wash & water mix, which removes all the film making them appear faded. - I was shocked to say the least that its deposits and not fading. It takes some elbow grease, but those black plastic parts will again appear black or at least charcoal in color. You can then follow up with a light coat of your favorite detailing plastic protectant.
:iagree:100%

Been doing mine like that since we've owned our 07TB for 2 1/2 years now. Scrub the heck out it with a nail brush(the ones for your fingers), and then followed up with Back to Black.

One of the tricks I do, is to scrub the Back to Black into the parts, using ample amounts of the B&B. Allow it time to soak in(I wait 15-20 mins), then buff it off, constantly using a clean part of the cloth(s).

just :m2:

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Detailed Image sells a product by Poorboy's World called Trim Restorer, great product and inexpensive. Works fantastic an.:m2:d smells great to boot

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
I cover mine with turtle wax ice! I didn't like it as a synthetic wax, so I just use it on trim pieces now :D

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
I just used Bondo (3m) restore black it's a dye that says it works up to 6months. I used it on factory running boards and rear bumper pad and im very happy so far! Its not slippery and it's a satin looking finish! I can't speak on longevity personally , but online reviews are great!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
260 Posts
Yep lots. I've heard good things about using a heat gun to restore it permanently. Youtube has some videos of this. The Back to Black and 303 types of products are short lived before you need to redo it.
Yes you are right,my trim turned in to gray and i used heat gun to restore to black and it was sucessful:iagree:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
Heat gun worked for me. I used it on the rear bumper, rockers, and side moulding pieces. Still worried - watch a youtube video on how-to, there's plenty.

Check out my before/after...
(No other treatment to the plastic here - except some left over rain)

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 chevy
226 Posts
I use Turtle Wax ICE on my whole vehicle. Turns the black black again.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Use peanut butter with a clean rag. Gets all the old wax off and restores it back to looking new..

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Magic Eraser for sun faded plastics.

Bring back an old post. A great way to get the sun faded plastics all over the truck is to use MR Clean Magic Erasers. Takes away the sun damage with a little elbow grease. Did this on my 2002 Xterra and it worked liked a charm. Will be doing it to my 2003 Trailblazer soon.

I also have Back to Black which is a great product that lasts a long time after being applied. I do suggest using some degreaser on the parts before hand letting it dry completely then wiping it with some Afta first.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
105 Posts
latest consensus / new developments?

I've searched thru most of the "trim restore" threads. A lot of them are older posts (like 4-7 years ago). My question is: what's the latest and greatest? I have a '04 TB cali car. The "black" trim is medium/light gray - that California sun must have been BRUTAL. I tried Back to Black, but that just gives me shiny gray. Short of dies and paints (and the heat gun treatment), is there anything that actually takes gray back to (or close to) the original black?

thx,
rick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts