Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the resonator due vs. the muffler? I want to get a LITTLE louder rumble. I spend a lot of time on the highway @ 80-85 MPH, so I don't want a droooolllling sound.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
19 Posts
I got an exhaust system bc all the resonator delete does is just gives a slightly louder than stock sound, but not by much. Last week I got the K&N cold air intake system and then I went to the muffler shop and got a res delete and a magna flow exhaust. I got the magna flow because it is stainless steel unlike the flowmaster series, which breaks at the neck on both sides due to rust over time.... The stock muffler that the shop pulled out from under my TB was massive! It looked about 3-4 feet long and as round as a basketball, but more oval shaped.

@ 2,000 rpms, the exhaust rumbles!! and since the TB is similar to a box, the sound is kind of loud, but the performance is very nice :thumbsup: compared to stock. My friend did just the res delete with the stock muffler and it was just a tad bit more loud than stock, which is why I did an exhaust system and res delete bc I wanted an actual rumble.

If you are like me (25, single, not tied down, etc...) and want to get as much out of the vehicle as you can, go with an exhaust system as a whole, or if you are a family man, do the res delete with a descent looking tip (strictly for family talk in the vehicle) so you can actually hear your significant others :grouphug:

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
2009 saab
138 Posts
Basically, the resonator reduces the amount of harmonic drone created by the exhaust noise. The purpose of the muffler is to diminish the noise of the exhaust and also provide back pressure to the engine. The gas escapes from the exhaust valve at such high pressure it is necessary to reduce the pressure from each explosion by use of the chambers inside of the muffler.

Since you have the LS2 6.0L, I am sure you will get more rumble than those of us with the 4.2L after deleting the resonator. I have a stock exhaust with the resonator cut off and added a straight pipe with a tip. The overall look of the vehicle is improved as well as the sound. I also have a K&N intake. I do a lot of driving on the highway as well and I notice a slight drone at around 2000rpm. When I have my radio on I cannot hear the drone at all. The resonator delete is a quick DIY project for about $40.00, depending on the type of pipe and tip you decide to use. You could start there and if that is not the sound you are looking for, you can move to replacing the stock muffler with an aftermarket one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts