Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the threads to make sure this isn't a repeat - sorry if it is.....
I've got an '06 TB w/5.3 V8. I want to keep the DOD for the time being but long for that V8 rumble and really want to rid myself of that awful sewerpipe on the back of my ride. The question is: how bad does it sound when the DOD engages w/no resonator? Am I better off to wait until I do the mods on my list?(CAI and PCM tune) then remove the resonator?
Thanks for any help!
:hail:

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
i got shorty headers only , cat back is stock and i didnt remove the converters , when DOD is engaged you can notice litle sound of surging but its not noisy at all , at least i can now that i,m runing V4 :)

the more you take out from you exhaust system the more sound will come with DOD

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks guys - that actually helps a lot and makes sense. I didn't want to make the appt for my exhaust guy until I was sure what the end result would be. The plan is to remove the resonator and replace it w/a piece of 3" 304 stainless.
:hail::hail:

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
nice pills man

thats new to me i,m gona try them soon

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
61 Posts
resonator removed

I cut mine off last week. No change to sound at all. DOD active or not. Did gain 1 mpg, according to the computer. Looking into an after market flowmaster set up. :undecided

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
76 Posts
The mufflers on our trucks have a valve in them that is pressure sensitive and opens and shuts when dod engages/disengages. When it comes time to swap out that muffler then you'll noticed the sound difference.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
130 Posts
muffler

I cut mine off last week. No change to sound at all. DOD active or not. Did gain 1 mpg, according to the computer. Looking into an after market flowmaster set up. :undecided
I went with a Flowmaster super 40 series and by coincidence another TBSS owner -Eric who lives 2 miles from me- did the same thing at the same shop, the same day, just 5 minutes before me! LOL When he took off after it was done all heads truned when he got on it.... and yet its not loud just cruizin.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
61 Posts
How does it sound at a steady pace of 55 mph? Curious what the DOD impact will be on sound. I tow a pop up in the summer.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
130 Posts
DOD with resonator removed

It sounds good on the wife's MCSS. Just a slight difference when DOD kicks in but it doesn't sound like its just 4 cylinders. The TB might be different. On the MCSS it has a looooong round muffler underneath-must be 3 ft long! The wife said she doen't need any more mods.....she's happy with it. :D

How does it sound at a steady pace of 55 mph? Curious what the DOD impact will be on sound. I tow a pop up in the summer.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Has anybody heard a good sounding exhaust system with the I6? Am thinking about removing just the resonator since i will be lifting it anyways, was wondering if this ads any good sound? I just worry about sounding like a RICER :x

EDIT: OOPS! SORRY GUYS, I JUST REALISED THIS IS IN THE SS FORUM, MY BAD!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts