Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on losing the res. how long of a piece of pipe do I need to get and what diameter? I have a stock '03'Trailblazer LS 4.2L. I would like to have come out behind the wheel if possible, that should not make things to difficult right?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
They used a 2.5" piece that slides nice inside the stock 2.75" piece. Not sure how long, depends on where you want it to exit.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
I've been contemplating this mod. I however want the new pipe to fit over the left over pipe, instead of into it.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
155 Posts
I've been contemplating this mod. I however want the new pipe to fit over the left over pipe, instead of into it.
yeah you want the pipe to fit over the leftover pipe from the exhaust. if you get a pipe to go inside of the old pipe their will be a lot of backpressure. thier will be a lot of poping when letting off the gas pedel.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
480 Posts
I don't know what other members have experenced but my pipe is on the inside and I don't have any popping sounds. I agree that a 3 in pipe on the outside might be better but my setup works ok. See my gallery for pics. Jay:m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
yeah you want the pipe to fit over the leftover pipe from the exhaust. if you get a pipe to go inside of the old pipe their will be a lot of backpressure. thier will be a lot of poping when letting off the gas pedel.
so you think that a 2.5" pipe going inside a 2.75" AFTER you remove the resonator is gonna be too much backpressure?:weird:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I've said this on other threads: TV's do not have mandrel bent exhaust pipes. If you look at the pipe where it goes over the axle (at least on my Envoy) it is so constricted it looks more like a 2" pipe. Even the resonator is crimped down at the inlet and outlet. If you want the bigger pipe for looks, go for it. But the 2.5" inside the 2.75" will not cause any extra back pressure. :m2: The res itself is a straight flow through and causes no pressure.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
i do aloota work on imports [honda/acuras] and obv theres no comparison with our tv's but for those motors backpressure is good bp=tq...wouldnt this still apply to our low end numbers givin us a stronger low end tq numbaahs :undecided

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The I-6 does seem to run better with some back pressure. :thumbsup: I'm just saying going to the 2.5" pipe IMO won't increase the back pressure.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
Back pressure is a necessity for our motors to optimize power. I ran straight piping for a while, and although the sound was great, power was lacking. As soon as I put my dynomax on, power greatly improved. I did get very quiet, so I recently cut the res. off and it now sounds about as good as I think these motors can without being too ricey.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
No, the pipe being slid inside the other one has nothing to do with the popping sound you hear from the exhaust. The popping is a result of the camshaft overlap. The popping is there from stock, but you just don't hear it much with the muffler and resonator installed.

Will the resonator replacement pipe being inside the other one cause any more back pressure??? Yes, but the amount is so small I wouldn't worry about it.

As mentioned above, these engines do require some back pressure to develop low and mid-range torque, so whatever you do, don't remove the muffler or use a very low restriction replacement :nono:.....the stock muffler is pretty free-flowing as is.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
155 Posts
no you said there would be alot of backpressure. read your post.
yeah i said there would be backpressure that would make the poping sound and thats what one of my uncles said and thought was right but it might be wrong but i thought that the poping sound was made by the backpressure and i guess he was wrong telling me that and didnt mean to say something that wasnt right i was just going by what my uncle said, next time i wont listen to him!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
10 Posts
hii,..
does the resonator delete give more power to the engine on a 6 cyl?????
and how does it sound without the res. ????????????????????????????/:undecided:undecided

1 - 20 of 22 Posts