Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start on this project. I have to remove the fan shroud and I am having a little problem. Correct me if I am wrong, the shroud and fan come out together not seperatly.I must disconnect the fan from the clutch and disconnect the shroud and lift out. I have disconnected the shroud from everything I believe. Is there something I should know without taking out the radiator.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,235 Posts
You remove the fan clutch from the water pump shaft and lift the shroud, fan and clutch all out together. That's how I did mine when I replaced the fan clutch. Also I removed two bolts in the center radiator support which let the radiator move forward an inch or so, and I loosened the fan from the clutch for a little more wiggle room to get it out. The shroud will have rubber splash shields whatever they are called hooked to the lower sides too, so be sure to unhook them or you wil tear out the holes in the rubber shields.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
My Denali's pump is also being replaced today. I have an extended warranty so they are doing the though.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,864 Posts
The fan clutch has to come off anyway because it's attached to the water pump. You don't need to remove the fan shroud. Just take out two bolts on the fan clutch and loosen the other two so you can push the clutch back a little (DON'T let the fan clutch fall). Then remove the water pump. It's a little tight, but much easier than removing the fan shroud.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
82 Posts
The fan clutch has to come off anyway because it's attached to the water pump. You don't need to remove the fan shroud. Just take out two bolts on the fan clutch and loosen the other two so you can push the clutch back a little (DON'T let the fan clutch fall). Then remove the water pump. It's a little tight, but much easier than removing the fan shroud.
Huh? I like the sound of that even if I'm a bit fuzzy on the whole "so you can push the clutch back a little " part...

What specialty tools did you need to do this? I'm about to attempt this repair under a time crunch and would like to eliminate trips back and forth to the parts store.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Specialty Tools:

For the 2003 Envoy SLT XL 4.2l L6, the only specialty tool that you will need is the water pumpt "grab" tool and the fan clutch wrench. These two items come together in one kit that you can rent from the Auto Parts store.

The "grab" tool holds the water pumpt pully firmly while you rotate the fan clutch retainer using the fan clutch wrench.

DO NOT attempt to use a break over bar or some other home-grown tool to hold the water pump pully while attempting to break the fan clutch free - you will mess up the heads of the four retainer bolts holding the pully to the water pump face.

Also: I did not have to loosen/remove my radiator or condenser. When you loosen the Fan Clutch retainer and finally separate it from the water pump, you will have about 1/16 inch clearance between the water pump pully and the fan clutch - enough to take the fan shroud/fan/fan clutch out (pull directly up firmly) as a unit.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
Water Pump 2002 replace

You don't remove the shroud, undo the wire connection from the fan clutch, take the fan off and move it toward the radiator. Remove one of the bolts that hold on the water pump pulley on, put in a longer bolt with a length of chain and connect the chain to the driver side engine compartment. undo the the large bolt of the clutch. move the clutch toward the radiator.take the tension off the belt so you can take off the pump pulley. Then replace the pump and go the other way to put it all back together. I am about to do it my second time as the Bosh Pump didn't make it 3 years. Trying a Gates pump this time. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.